Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a 1963 Nova Wagon and gonna attempt to do a mini tub project. Is there anyone that has done this before to give me some direction to either have a shop do it or is it something that I can do with time. Thanks for all your help in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,514 Posts
Look here....used the Detroit Speed tubs, worked great.....

T,

·
Registered
702 Posts
There are plenty of build threads that have very good pictures of mini tub jobs. I included some in my build thread also. I know it's more money but if I do another I'm planning on using the detroit speed mini tubs. It's just a lot less work. If you can weld and will take your time I think most anybody can do it. The hardest part is working up the nerve to make the first cut.

·
6,160 Posts
I don't see any supporting of the car other than in front of the wheel well. Cutting up the car including the frame with the car supported as shown in the beginning of the video could lead to buckling(dimpling) of the quarter panel forward of the wheel well on the lower section during the installation. IMO

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am working on a 1963 Nova Wagon and gonna attempt to do a mini tub project. Is there anyone that has done this before to give me some direction to either have a shop do it or is it something that I can do with time. Thanks for all your help in advance.
Any progress?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Everyone seems to point in the direction of DSE when doing mini tub, not sure what else is out there for aftermarket unless you do your own? I'm contemplating on mini tubbing my '63 Wagon, but do not want to cut into the rear seat. I'm not sure if i'm using the search function correctly but can not seem to find anything on this. I will call DSE tomorrow and see what they say.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Did my 66 last year. Like many have said, the DSE kit is alot less work, looks great in the end but costs a pretty penny. I split my factory tub and sectioned in a strip of sheet metal. I'm an ok welder and it turned out to be a PITA because the factory tub is pretty thin gauge and I blew through quite a bit. Also had to run seam sealer across every lap weld.

You could butt weld in a section of sheet metal but I felt that would be even more work, so I lap welded. I'm not going to enter any shows and I will drive this car so I'm ok with the way the tubs turned out.

It depends on what your end goal is and how much your willing to spend. DSE kit is great but pricey, DIY cheap but alot of work.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I used fab quest strips and they made it easier than making the fill pieces but like I've already said the DSE kit will cut down on the work. The DSE's are a lot more money compared to the fabquest strips but from now on I'll just save a little longer/ Here is a link to the fabquest strips.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts