Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am soon to be in the market for a mini-tub on my '72 Nova. What I don't have is a welder (and for that, any experience welding), cutting tools, or really anything to do any body panel work. This is where you help.

1) What welder should I be looking for to appropriately and correctly mini-tub my '72? I keep an eye regularly on craigslist, so if I can come across something there, what should I look for? I obviously won't just buy a welder and go, I will get some practice beforehand on scrap metal. My only limitation is the 110 socket in my garage (currently in an apartment), but I believe I can still find something powerful enough to weld sheetmetal, and possibly some suspension stuff (coil-over mounts, etc.)

2) What cutting/grinding tools should I look for? Angle grinder, die grinder? Should I be looking at an air compressor for this as well, or would basic electric tools get the job done?

3) Anything else you can think of that I will need to know to get this done. (shock mounts, coil-over?) Current rear-suspension is leaf-spring. What would it take to convert over to a coil-over setup?

Current rearend is an 8.5 big 10 bolt with stock 28-spline axles. I know the axle tubes will have to be shortened, but by how much? Does Moser, Strange or somebody sell axles (custom) the right size?

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
For a welder Im using a Hobart Handler 135. It works great I would go as big as you can like a Handler 160. I think that still runs 110. My friend has one and its easier to use when new to welding. At least for me it was. When you get the welder spend tons of time running beads at every setting. Experment and see what works for you for things like wirespeed. I do better running it hotter and adding a little more wire speed to avoid burning through stuff. The grinder I get the most use from is my $20 Harbor freight 4". I can put cutt off wheels, wire wheels, and good old griding wheels on it. I used it for about 95% of the stuff on my car. Would be 100% but it doesnt fit every where. I think your fine with electric unless you want to spend the money on a big compressor. You can easily get any size custom axle from many places. For the welder just make sure you stick with a good name brand.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Well Im installing a Ladderbar suspension kit from CW that has coilovers. Its pretty simple a crossmember is cut to fit in between the framerails and then brackets weld to the rearend and the new crossmember. I have not done it yet but the instrcuctions make it look easy. I mean you do have to spend some time measuring for correct placement but it looks straight forward.

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
do you want a factory appearing mini tub or ones that look like the one in pro street type cars. If you go with the factory appearing i recommend DSE they make a real nice set i have them but not yet installed them i have a Lincoln welder its nice setup i got it from home depot

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do you want a factory appearing mini tub or ones that look like the one in pro street type cars. If you go with the factory appearing i recommend DSE they make a real nice set i have them but not yet installed them i have a Lincoln welder its nice setup i got it from home depot
Thanks craig. I think I have you on that Hub place/site..

I love the pro-street look, but it will be both functional and for looks. Factory appearing does not matter one bit to me. I would like to do it cheap though. I have seen the kits, and although they're nice, they're a bit pricey $$$$. I was wondering if I could get away with it with just moving the tubs inwards and adding a center strap.

Well Im installing a Ladderbar suspension kit from CW that has coilovers. Its pretty simple a crossmember is cut to fit in between the framerails and then brackets weld to the rearend and the new crossmember. I have not done it yet but the instrcuctions make it look easy. I mean you do have to spend some time measuring for correct placement but it looks straight forward.
Would a ladder bar setup be good for the street? Could you provide a link to the one you have, or one that will work? I'm interested in finding more out about a ladder bar setup.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Would a ladder bar setup be good for the street? Could you provide a link to the one you have, or one that will work? I'm interested in finding more out about a ladder bar setup.
Here is the link http://www.cachassisworks.com/
I have been very happy with their products and customer service. Some say they are a little pricey but I feel I have always got more than I paid for in a good way and they are only an hour away.

I have never used this type of setup before. My plans are take it down town once or twice a month and race it at the same so comfort was not an issue for me. I can tell you second hand that it is a rougher ride. So I think anything can be on a street car the question is what are you going to do with the car and what can you live with. If your not going to be on the track I would do something else and even if you are there are many options these days that can be cheaper and provide great results. I bought the kit about 6 years ago my project was on hold for the last 5yrs. (5 daughters) so Im kinda commited or at least want to finish what I started since I have most things paid for that are needed to finish the car. Hop this helps ya just keep asking and searching old posts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts