Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to mini tubb my 66 ht this fall and have a bunch of questions. Im posting this to see if anyone could help me out.
1)i really dont have any idea what the best rear suspension set-up would be. I have a 550 hp motor running to a brand new dana 60 rear end from strange. I know the rear end would have to be shortened, but i dont know what length the rear end should be..and
2) dont know what rear suspension to go with(tci, alstons, etc)
i want to be able to put a nice 10-12inch wide tire on the rear and was hoping someone would be able to show me photos of their completed projects and any help would be beneficial.

Also, i can not do the work and was hoping someone knew a good shop near northwest indiana area, chicago area, indianapolis area. If anyone has a rough price of what it would cost to completely get it minitubbed i would appreciate it.
Thanks
chris

·
Banned
872 Posts
mini tub

I'm wanting to mini tubb my 66 ht this fall and have a bunch of questions. Im posting this to see if anyone could help me out.
1)i really dont have any idea what the best rear suspension set-up would be. I have a 550 hp motor running to a brand new dana 60 rear end from strange. I know the rear end would have to be shortened, but i dont know what length the rear end should be..and
2) dont know what rear suspension to go with(tci, alstons, etc)
i want to be able to put a nice 10-12inch wide tire on the rear and was hoping someone would be able to show me photos of their completed projects and any help would be beneficial.

Also, i can not do the work and was hoping someone knew a good shop near northwest indiana area, chicago area, indianapolis area. If anyone has a rough price of what it would cost to completely get it minitubbed i would appreciate it.
Thanks
chris
down here in TX its 900.00 to mini tub a 66 nova

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
My suggestion, if and when you do find a competent shop, is to have them spell out exactly what they will be doing for the price. Widening the tubs, re-sectioning the package tray supports to correctly fit back in, relocating the spring tabs, and/or fabricating new front and rear spring mounts. Widening the tubs is but a small part of the whole package. Sometimes, its not realized what needs to be performed to get the widest tire possible up in there. I always tell someone I do this for, that my estimates are rough, and at any time they are welcome to check where I'm at relevent to the project. Its important to know "how" a shop is performing the work you want done. Good luck!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
For 12" wide rubber you might not even get away with just a mini tub - frame has to be narrowed.
You are looking at some real amount of work!

Regards from overseas

Boris

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
285's are about all you can comfortably shove up in there without sectioning/moving the rear frame rails.....but I wouldn't.
A well done mini-tub looks factory and you get to keep the rear seat.

For 12" wide rubber you might not even get away with just a mini tub - frame has to be narrowed.
You are looking at some real amount of work!

Regards from overseas

Boris

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have like 14 1/2" from wheel lip to frame rail on mine after mini tub. I notched rails as you can see in picture. I also kept the curve of the front part of the inner housing tight against the rail a lot longer than the factory, which freed up more space without that sharper turn inwards. Replacement strip was like "3 1/2" " as opposed to the "2 plus " in the back .I stuck a 285 tire in there and have tons of room left. Granted axle length and backspace can affect final outcome. I am gonna borrow a 315 from local tire store and see how that goes.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

I have several pics on my link below of the steps I went thru on mine. Maybe it can give you ideas or help

·
Banned
872 Posts
mini tubs

Trust me, Dales right. There is a ton of work involved to do all the things that go along with the mini tub. I bet it's more likely $2000 to have it all done. Maybe more. I did all of mine myself and it took many weekends:yes:
Ron
trust me if its your first go around it can take a long time, no problem for the steppers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts