Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to fit a 275/50 tire on a 1st-2nd gen nova. I had planned on mini tubbing the wheel well to the frame rail. I want to keep the stock gas tank as well. I also plan on lowering the car 1-2 inches in the rear with blocks. I have done some searching but I am trying to find the best solution for moving the leaf spring over to fit that size tire. I have seen some of the subframe connectors that move the front mount in and have also seen the mounts made with a piece of 4x4. Which is the better option? For the rear, are sliders the only option? The rear is also 3 inches narrower than stock. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am still in the planning stage and am on a tight budget. I don't want to buy the wrong parts the first time. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
If you move the springs inboard of the frame you cant use a stock tank.Tank would have to be narrowed.If you mini tubbed with a 4 link style rear suspension you may be able to use the stock tank but there goes the budget:eek:

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do I definitely need to move the springs into fit a 275 in there? I could have sworn that I have seen mini tub builds that move the springs in a little bit but still kept the stock gas tank. But maybe I'm just remembering it wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
I used Competition Eng. suframe connectors that move the front spring mount in 2 in. in conjunction with an S-10 rearend that is 54in wide and a minitub .I left the rear shackles in the stock location and did not have to modify the gas tank.It all clears but the largest tire and wheel that that I could use was a 285-35-20. I might be able to go with a smaller wheel size and get a 50 series under it.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am planning on using the S 10 rear end as well. Where are you tight for room in the wheel well? Is it against the leafspring itself, or the frame rail? What kind of off spacing did you end up using on your wheels? Thanks For all the input everyone

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
I am planning on using the S 10 rear end as well. Where are you tight for room in the wheel well? Is it against the leafspring itself, or the frame rail? What kind of off spacing did you end up using on your wheels? Thanks For all the input everyone

The only place that I get a little rub in up high on the outer part of the inner fender.With 20x10s -285-35s and 5in back spacing the wheel and tire are no where near the frame or spring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts