Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I’ve searched and searched but just can’t find the exact answer I’m looking for. If I use the DSE minitubs for my 72, can I just cut and weld them in or does it require suspension relocation and a different or notched fuel tank? I know they sell the kit for 2k, but all the info on just the mini tubs seems like you could just buy them and cut/weld them in.

Thanks in advance. And sorry if it’s somewhere obvious but I have looked at probably 10-12 threads and can’t find the answer.

Dru

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Hey guys. I’ve searched and searched but just can’t find the exact answer I’m looking for. If I use the DSE minitubs for my 72, can I just cut and weld them in or does it require suspension relocation and a different or notched fuel tank? I know they sell the kit for 2k, but all the info on just the mini tubs seems like you could just buy them and cut/weld them in.

Thanks in advance. And sorry if it’s somewhere obvious but I have looked at probably 10-12 threads and can’t find the answer.

Dru
I just sold a set to a member here. I am certain you can cut and weld them in without moving the leaf springs but it sort of defeats the purpose of installing them as the springs would limit your tire size. To be sure, I just ran down to the garage to double check and without pulling those springs together in the rear, the mini tub would not gain you anything as far as I could tell. Thus the added expense of offset hangars, narrower fuel tank, frame notch, etc. I'm pretty sure you would need to relocate your spring perches as well. I can't see how you could pull the ends of the leaf spring inboard without doing that. I could be wrong and someone who has installed a set would know better than I. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just sold a set to a member here. I am certain you can cut and weld them in without moving the leaf springs but it sort of defeats the purpose of installing them as the springs would limit your tire size. To be sure, I just ran down to the garage to double check and without pulling those springs together in the rear, the mini tub would not gain you anything as far as I could tell. Thus the added expense of offset hangars, narrower fuel tank, frame notch, etc. I'm pretty sure you would need to relocate your spring perches as well. I can't see how you could pull the ends of the leaf spring inboard without doing that. I could be wrong and someone who has installed a set would know better than I. Hope that helps.
Thanks so much for the help!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
here is a video from DSE 1968-74 Nova Installation Videos

They move the spring pockets but they are also putting in their quadra-link setup. I'm using a 4-link setup from RideTech. Hopefully I won't have to move the spring pockets but I'll have to wait and see once I get the minitubes from NovaPwr.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts