Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like Christmas today, lots of boxes arrived. Floor pans for the '62 some rocker panel moldings, various trim and THESE!!!!

After writing the check for these wheels if I don't get my arse out there and cut up the 63 to make them fit the wife is gonna have my ***!!!!:D

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Mini Tub,
I really dont like Tubbed Cars anymore.Dont worry if you back out,If you get your Tail Kicked you will be able to get back up.
Joe

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just afraid that they might be too tall for the height of the stock wheel houses. Width wont be an issue.

I sure do like them though!

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
How Tall are the Tires.
The last one I did the tires were 28 or 29 Tall and Ride Height was set at,Dont remember inches but the 1/4 Lip was about 2 inches below the top of the Wheel.That was with a Lader Bar Coil Over Suspension,so the Car didn't Squat when launched.
Joe

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are 29x12.5 15's The tread is 10.5"

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Trying to remember the Hieght.I remember the Tires were Close to the Rockers and were 11 3/4 Tread width(not alot
of Bulge at the Section).I think a Mini Tub will work.
Joe

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
be TUBBY !!! :eek: :eek: :D

yer already a Fatty !!! ;) :D :D :D

are ya EVER gonna need 'em bigger Jeff ??? if ya think somewhere down the road ya Might... then do it now ;)

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Two things to Consider.Mini Tubbed Cars seem to Sell Quicker and for More Money.There are Quite a few 7.90-8.50 Cars out there Running 275 Drag Radials.
Joe

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
the Flyer said:
be TUBBY !!! :eek: :eek: :D

yer already a Fatty !!! ;) :D :D :D

are ya EVER gonna need 'em bigger Jeff ??? if ya think somewhere down the road ya Might... then do it now ;)
Waddya tellin' him somethin' like THAT for !!! listen ta Joe ya turkey !!!

i guess you can go from a Fatty to a Mini-Tubby though... Huh ??? :rolleyes: :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I say mini tub but suggest aftermasket tubs, I have 29s and I dont think they would have fit with widened stock tubs.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NovaStar said:
I say mini tub but suggest aftermasket tubs, I have 29s and I dont think they would have fit with widened stock tubs.
With aftermarket tubs, it would no longer be a mini-tub.

The 'Bringer has perfect rust free wheel houses and I have a second set of good ones from my last parts car. So I have lots of metal to play with.

Anyway "to mini tub or tub" was a play on words.

Its getting a Maxi/Mini tub job!!

Yes Johnny, if I wish to go bigger, I'll be able to.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Shoot!! I thought Jeff was finally gonna take a bath!!:( :rolleyes:

Jeff, since you are doing a maxi/mini tub, why couldn't you just make the wheel housings taller so the bringer can be brought down over those tires?

I remember some issue with the rearend in the bringer. Was a little narrow, or a little wide??

Randy (not sure what maxi's have to do with wheel tubs, but if Jeff says so.....):confused: :D

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Min tub or tub????? thats a trick question Jeff there is nothing mini about ya...your a tub...lol....or at least thats what Johnny says about ya;)

I vote for the Maxi-tub...thats what I like to call the ones on my car...cause I can get a 16" wide tire in them....they're not full tubs...but they are definately not mini tubs either.....:)

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
72GreenRally said:
Jeff, since you are doing a maxi/mini tub, why couldn't you just make the wheel housings taller so the bringer can be brought down over those tires?

I remember some issue with the rearend in the bringer. Was a little narrow, or a little wide??
I think that that is what I'll end up doing. Aside from widening the tubs I'll prolly end up raising them too. I've always been a fan of jacking up the rear as high as it will go, but this time I think it will look better dropped in the dirt. So I can drive it LOW and SLOW!!:eek: :D It will be my little rice grinder!!!:D

The problems with the rear are for 1 its Ford!! The leaf springs are mono leafs with a set of cut off 4 leafs "wiretied" to them. Its a peg leg with 350 gears and drum brakes. And the leafs don't fit properly in the perches.

After I get the tires fitted to find out how much cutting I need to do, I'll measure the space for how much I need cut off the axels and send the rear in to get bionicised. Chopped add a spool, better gears, proper bolt pattern on the new axels. And possibly a disc brake kit.

This is going to be one heck of a chore!!

·
Banned
726 Posts
I live by the words "go big or go home". I live it when it comes to valve sizes, head flow, cam selection, tire size and in this case wheel wells. You can always do a full tub and place a smaller tire in there. No one will know if the outer skirt (or opening) isnt stretched. You then have the option in the future to put a wider, taller tire in its place. Dont do things twice by later deciding to go bigger. Build the widest and tallest well now. You'll be happy you did.
-STeve

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bruce said:
Any chance the wheels and tires will fit with only moving the springs inboard?
Not too likely. But it is one of the things I will be checking as soon as I get the time to pull the rearend and test fit the wheels in the wells.

Can't just try and bolt them on since the rear is a 9" and the wheels have the chevy bolt pattern.

·
Registered
5 Posts
need a little help

looking to put in a norrowed 9" under my 67, but dont know the 1st thing on howto tubb the car, or how much. I'm thinking G-machine. what measurements do I need to take and where? is there a way to widen the tires passed the subframe w/out caging the car?

any info you have, I would be greatful

1 - 20 of 20 Posts