Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to move the tubs to the frame on a 67? Anyone make tubs that will work? Not wanting to cut the frame

·
Registered
34 Posts
DS mini tubs! little pricey buy worth it IMO... Notching the rails seems a bit intimidating but it really isn't that much more work - really opens up the wheel house, I ended up with over 14" of clearance on my 66!

·
Registered
324 Posts
more pics please

Im about to start the mini tub on my 66. I haven't decided whether or not to go into the frame. I'm not afraid of the extra work, just wondering if I can fit a 315/35-17 in there by just going to the frame. Initial measurements look like going to the frame will get me 13.5" width which will give me about 1/2" clearance on the sides. Not sure if that will be enough. Can you post some pics of the underside and how your wheels fit (if you have them in there)

·
Premium Member
Serious southern boy living in Jax Fl.
4,023 Posts
Im about to start the mini tub on my 66. I haven't decided whether or not to go into the frame. I'm not afraid of the extra work, just wondering if I can fit a 315/35-17 in there by just going to the frame. Initial measurements look like going to the frame will get me 13.5" width which will give me about 1/2" clearance on the sides. Not sure if that will be enough. Can you post some pics of the underside and how your wheels fit (if you have them in there)
I had to go into the frame to get 315s to work on my 67.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Done with tubs

Finally done with the mini tubs. Still have to weld in trunk pan. Like many others have said. It's best to do the DSE kit, however, it's $500 plus shipping. And like many others, I don't have a money tree in the back yard. Sectioning in a strip of metal was a lot of work. I found it was hard to get the curve cut correctly. I cut too much of a radius and had a lot of trouble fitting the inner tub. Came out well enough for me and it only cost me about $40 in sheet metal.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Looks like you did a great job as well. I did mine the same way you did yours. "Time is money" sometimes, but if its for your own project, time can be free. I couldn't see spending 500 either, when i know i could make them myself. Nice work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Detroit Speed makes some of the best quality products out there. As often you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Update on tubs

So I'm at a stopping point. Finished the tubs and trunk pan. It was a lot of work. Not rocket science just a lot of work. Again, would have preferred DSE but gotta watch the pennies, and I'm in no rush so I have lots of time.

Anyway, I have flipped the car on its side onto my tip over jig and cleaned the under side. Have to remove the understating and paint. The next difficult part is deciding on epoxy vs por15 vs chassis saver, etc.....

I love this site and all the wisdom and cooperation it's members offer.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looks great! I am in the middle of installing DSE mini tubs as I don't have much experience in this kind of work. Would have loved to save some $$ but it is what it is!

·
Registered
263 Posts
So I'm at a stopping point. Finished the tubs and trunk pan. It was a lot of work. Not rocket science just a lot of work. Again, would have preferred DSE but gotta watch the pennies, and I'm in no rush so I have lots of time.

Anyway, I have flipped the car on its side onto my tip over jig and cleaned the under side. Have to remove the understating and paint. The next difficult part is deciding on epoxy vs por15 vs chassis saver, etc.....

I love this site and all the wisdom and cooperation it's members offer.
Looks good. It sure is nice to be able to put the car on its side.

As for your undercoating, epoxy is going to have great holdout with a topcoat applied over it. Putting epoxy down and then a product like raptor liner, gives it great protection. If you like the bedliner look that's a great way to go. Putting a gloss finish on the underside can be a pain of keeping it clean.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Top coat?

Have to decide on what top coat over the epoxy I'm going to use on the undercarriage. As usual, have to watch the cost so I'm considering Rustoleum 7777 satin black. I've been researching and have read good reviews. Would love raptor liner or chassis saver but they are more expensive. I'll post pics when I get it painted hopefully next week, supposed to warm up some.

·
Registered
324 Posts
topcoat choice

Decided to go with SEM Trim Black as a topcoat for the undercarriage and the firewall. I'll post pics when i get to that point.

·
Registered
324 Posts
bought it in a quart, gonna spray it. im still sanding the cowling areas. Also, with the holidays work has slowed down due to family time. I will post pics when i finally get the firewall sprayed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts