Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nee some help mounting the rack to my home brew front clip project. I've got an aftermarket MII type Xmember welded to the stock frame rails. The Xmember has through holes for mounting the rack spaced 16" ctc. I got a "deal" on a rack but after I got it realized it is designed for 15.5" ctc mounting. I made a set of offset bushings from aluminum they solved that problem.
What I need to know is how far the rack should be spaced from the Xmember? SHould the centerline of the rack intersect the center of the hole in the steering arm? Can the tie rods be slightly angled forward or back?
At this point it looks like I'm going to need about 2" between the mounting boss on the rack and the Xmember; any closer and there is an interference problem between the rack housing and the lower control arm on the right side.
On some setups it looks like the rack is actually over top of the lower control arm pivot; to do that I'd have to raise the mounting points from their current location.
I just don't want to screw up the geometry.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
We put our rack about 1/2" in front of the tie rod holes. On some drag cars
it may be up to 6" in front.
Moving the rack forward wil start to affect the Ackerman angle, but an inch or to should be ok .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts