Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with mig brazing? If so, how does it compare with mig welding and which do you prefer? I've read a little about it on the internet and it sounds like the way to go on sheet metal repairs.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Mig Brazing to Me would Imply Brass?If so it is not for Me,I dont like Brass in Auto Body Repair.
Joe

·
Registered
36 Posts
I also have never heard of mig brazing and I have been in the welding,sheet metal and machine shop industry for 15 years. but I'm not saying it does not exist

·
5,145 Posts
70Deuce said:
What do you mean by filing the sail panel seam? I am doing my quarters now and would like to know your technique. Is this the area you are talking about?

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/70Deuce/Quarter Panels/?action=view&current=IMG_0605.jpg

Yes, that is the area. We MIG welded them and used the brazing to fill the large depression that the factory filled with lead. Used an older Miller 220V MIG welder with a spool gun. The wire was .024 silicon bronze. 100% argon gas. I'm not sure if you can push it thru a pusher MIG setup.
We used a spot vacuum blaster to get the metal clean where we had done the MIG welds. Play around on some scrap and you can move back and forth and get a wide bead with a minimal amount of heat. I have a few photos, they aren't great I took them with my Palm. I can't post here.
It is an adhesion welding process not a fusion welding process so don't use it to replace regular MIG welds. We just use it for filling MIG welded seams.
To me, it is stronger than using a bunch of All Metal or filler, also more waterproof.
I have tried filling rust holes with it after cutting back to good metal but it doesn't work very well.
I was at an I-CAR new materials seminar a few weeks ago and they said one of the European car co.'s was using MIG brazing on 2007 cars. Noone else raised their hand when he asked who had MIG brazed before so it must not be real popular.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for sharing your experience. Short of mig brazing to fill the seam, what would you suggest a hobbyist like myself to do? Fill it with fiberglass or metal-to-metal body filler (which I'm reluctant to do because it would have to be pretty thick), fill it with lead like the factory (this would be a new skill for me), make a "patch" to weld in the seam to cover the plug welds with my mig welder, or ?????? Thanks again.

·
5,145 Posts
All Metal or Metal 2 Metal would be my next choice. It's been done that way many times in shops before.
I always let my All Metal cure overnight to be sure it's thru hardened on thicker areas, then rough shape it and use body filler to get the final finish contour.
Lead would be great but requires specials tools, skills and heat control.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts