Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching drag radial tires for my 69 nova. I think I'm going to get the Mickey Thompson ET streets. I have a ford 9" rear if that matters any. I think it's the same length as the 10 bolt I pulled out. I'm running 15x8 weld draglite wheels with 5.5 backspace. What size tire is better 275-50-15 or 275-60-15. I realize the middle number on tires is the aspect ratio,(tire height) With the 60's being a little taller tire vs the 50's.

·
3,874 Posts
It's hard to fit the 50 series in the wheelwell. The 60 should be a better fit.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's hard to fit the 50 series in the wheelwell. The 60 should be a better fit.
I was thinking the opposite, with the 5o's fitting better having a little more room up and down than the 60's would.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
put the big pills in it and run L/S in Psca or Limited 10.5 on your tire in Wchra
Erv, those were the big pills! I have the same old tiny system from 1999. My junk won't fit in any of those classes--and I'm not legal to go under 10.00.
I thought about Limited when the class first started. For about 5 minutes I could have hung with them...now they run 150+
I have no interior, and they all want headliners and door panels...all the stuff I threw out.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Erv, those were the big pills! I have the same old tiny system from 1999. My junk won't fit in any of those classes--and I'm not legal to go under 10.00.
I thought about Limited when the class first started. For about 5 minutes I could have hung with them...now they run 150+
I have no interior, and they all want headliners and door panels...all the stuff I threw out.
Does your car even have an engine in it right now?

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
You didn't see the pic of the shop? No front clip or engine, but a nice looking R/P on the floor in front of the car. Is that in yet?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
What's it going to look like when you're done? Or better question, when will you be done?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went ahead and bit the bullet, went to summit racing this morning. Picked up the 275-60-15 mickey thompson et streets. Got them mounted,balanced and installed. The fit was perfect. They look awesome, really fill up the fender wells. I thought I was gonna have to move my shocks inward to get them to fit, but I didn't have to. Thanks for answering my questions, you guys rock!!!!!:yes::D

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This will be my first experience with et street tires. I'm just hoping to lower my 60' time. Last time I went to the track I had some worn out 225 street tires on it. I had to ease her out of the hole then punch it. With my new tires I hope I'll just be able to nail it right from the get go. I also installed subframe connectors since the last time I went. I'm running around 6 degrees pinion angle with competition engineering slapper bars.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
You will definitely lower your 60 fts. :yes::yes: How does that 6 degrees PA work out on the street? Do you do a lot of highway miles?? I have CE bars also, am thinking of adding some more pinion angle, but don't want to tear up my driveshaft/u-jts. My drive to/from track is 180 miles.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You will definitely lower your 60 fts. :yes::yes: How does that 6 degrees PA work out on the street? Do you do a lot of highway miles?? I have CE bars also, am thinking of adding some more pinion angle, but don't want to tear up my driveshaft/u-jts. My drive to/from track is 180 miles.
I drive the car a good bit on the street. There is a little bit of noise, vibration but it's not bad at all I can live with it. I also drive mine to the track as well. My round trip mileage is just under 200 miles.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
How did you launch bowtie0069 to get that 1.45 60' ?
That was footbraking it from a high idle. After that pass I tried it off the transbrake....Whoosh! All over the place! Next pass I tried footbraking again, but it spun...I wasn't able to play with air pressure because I had to give the tires back to Car Craft Magazine. They were a very early production pair, and had been on several cars before me, so I don't know how they would compare to new ones---And I was still on multi-leaf springs and slapper bars.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have multi leafs and slappers on mine. I'll find out how they do this sunday:yes:.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts