Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a round metal tag about the size of a silver dollar under the nut at the 11 oclock bolt on my stock 63 wagons' differential. I pull it off and cleaned it but found it to be smooth and clean.

I was hoping it meant posi but up on stands I can turn the driveshaft and right wheel turns only.

So what was this nameles tag for?:confused:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
you should be able to find a two or three digit code (letters) stamped on the rearend to determine the ratio and/or posi set up.... usually 62-64 on the center case, 65 and up on the axle tube.....

if you can't find the code there are other ways of telling the ratio and if it's got a posi w/o cracking it open.... let me know if needed....

if it's the stock rear, most likely 3.36 open diff....

·
Registered
338 Posts
I dunno bout the round tag.

But most of the posi tags were red, triangular and had "USE POSITRACTION DIFF LUBRICANT ONLY" printed on them for Eaton diff.
Some were silver metallic, rectangular and had "USE LIMITED SLIP DIFF LUBE ONLY" stamped on them.

Gary

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
each of the 4 tags did not have stamps they were the ID of the gear ratio I will post the tags Ie: like round with one notch was 308 ratio i'll post them later JM

·
Registered
338 Posts
Followup: Regarding my post yesterday.:)

The rectangular silver stamped tag was usually on a 10-bolt rear and the red triangular printed tag was usually on 12-bolts.
Also note, most of these were on 1966-1971 GM models.:yes:

I am really not sure on 1963-1965 models.:confused:

I would like to see some more on the round tag stuff from novajoe.
How about it Joe?

Gary

·
Registered
338 Posts
Some more stuff,:yes:

All 194ci/120hp 6cyl 1963 Nova wagons had the 3.36:1 axle.
(all had either the 3-speed synchro-mesh or power-glide)

All 153ci/90hp 4cyl 1963 Nova wagons had the 3.55:1 axle.
(all had either the 3-speed synchro-mesh or power-glide trans)

Sedans,Sport Coupe and Convertible w/194ci 6cyl
(3-speed: 3.08:1 Std. or 3.36:1 Opt.)
(Power-Glide: 3.08:1)

Sedans w/153ci 4 cyl
(3-speed: 3.08:1 Std. or 3.55:1 Opt.)
(Power-Glide: 3.08:1)

For those interested, you can see the original 1963 Nova brochures at this website (index)::)

http://www.classicnovas.net/brochure/63-i.htm

or

website (drive train):

http://www.classicnovas.net/brochure/63-15.htm

Right-click and save them as JPegs!:cool:

novajoe, the 3.36 and 3.55 came with open (std.) or limited-slip (opt.), the 3.08 came only with the open diff.; so that was 5 combinations, did they have 3, 4 or 5 different notched round tags??

Just curious about this!

Gary

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
I found the infomation in my 1967 chevrolet parts catalog The round metal tag with white paint (if any left over these years ) was 336 gear ratio.

Round tag with slice about 1/16 missing on the right side of tag (notched) painted yellow was 308 gear ratio
No tag was used 355 axle ration with standard axle.

a tag with two sides notched off so it looks like an arrow was used for 355 with limited slip and painted green.

All Limited slip had the filler plug tag on the filler pug (says use limited slip diff lube only*** round tag)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts