Chevy Nova Forum banner

metal finish vs. filler

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  new2novas 
#1 ·
I shaved my gas filler the other day, i went back to start some preliminary bodywork to it today and noticed under the door from the body line included and about a soda can diameter area was either warped severly from the welding or somehow it got banged into....

it is very very hard to access the backside, i did the best i could with the hammer and dolly and it still is recessed about 1/8" or a tad more, if i had access to a stud gun the fix would be easy but i don't....i had some tin can effect going on so i heated up the area and got rid of that but i guess my main question is being as backside access is near impossible should i just fill it, i try to stay away from too much filler, especially in this area as there is some flex in that long section of the quarter panel...:confused:

#3 ·
Not sure if you have room for this old body man's trick. We would take a basketball or a football, let the air out of it. Put it in behind the dented panel and slowly add air to bring out dents. it worked great. Add air slowly and watch panel closely as it pops out using a body hammer to keep creases out. sometimes you don't have room behind the panel.

#4 ·
Have you tried a suction cup? They make them just for stuff like this. They come in different diameters and have a handle you can get your fingers in to pull with. If you can pull on the dent and using a body hammer lightly beat around the OD of the dent it should stay out so it will not need much filler. That may help you??????? RM

#5 ·
thanks guys...the spot is in between the quarter and the wheelhousing, i can fit my hand back there but its real hard, i got a prybar in there but that doesn't seem to help cause its hard to tell its location as well as get any leverage....i will go at it one more time using something behind to push out and tap around it

i thought about welding studs of some sort on, i guess i could buy a pack of the studs and use them

i got a slap hammer behind it and tried to stretch that section of metal and it got real "tin-can effect" deal, thats when i put a little heat to it and shrunk it back, i think i may just fill it, i don't want to end up causing more problems trying to fix this one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.