Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am media blasting the body shell, etc, of my Nova. I finished the bottom using Black Magnum and it worked great. I am now doing the sheet matal and body pieces. I am using walnut shells and am not happy with the overall results. Does not cut thru factory paint worth a darn, Shells get pluged up in hose quite often.( I think they are absorbing water from the very humid air we are having. Have to order out of state and have them shipped in.
I would like to find a plastic, etc media that will not absorb water and will not warp the sheet metal. Anybody have any sugestions? Thanks

I did a search and found a few members that like the walnut shells, may I ask what setup you are using, What tip and what size hose, etc. Thanks maybe I can make this stuff work better!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, good idea and that may be the way to go. I was thinking about purchasing the soda conversion for my set up but wanted to see if there was any other methods available. If there was a good stripping comapny in the Naperville IL. area I might just let them do the sheet metal. We will see

Thanks

·
Registered
482 Posts
a lot of people dont like the soda blasting on the pro touring sites. if you dont get all of it out it will corrode the metal. might wanta do some more research on that.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up Toxic, I will keep on with the research.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
What toxic said plus it leaves a film behind that has to be neutralized.

I use glass beads which will remove paint, rust etc. You just have to keep
working it. The plus is it won't damage anything and you just sweep it up
and reuse. The negative is the problem you have which is moisture. It
has to be dry air or it just worthless.

Chuck

·
Registered
108 Posts
I used a product called "Starblast" from dupont. It worked great!!! Left a smooth finish, removed rust, bondo and paint. Had some trouble stripping the 7 layers of pain from the body, but was well worth it. It cost about 14$ for a 50lb bag here in CA. It is really fine material, natural mined in florida if you are the green type. Look into it, I had to call dupont to find a local dealer that was the hardest part.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My friend works at a rental yard, so he brought home their "sandblast" setup. It consisted of a diesel powered air compressor, full pressure blasting pot, and air hood.

Saved me major cash, as the setup was 319$ a day, total rip off.

http://www.dahlsequipment.com/rentalrates/sandblasting.htm

However I am attempting to build a pressure blasting pot from an old air compressor tank. Was planning on using my air compressor, it will be working it to death but should work.

I still have about 3 lbs left, if you are interested I could send you a bag full so you can check it out.

-rob

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you use the starblast on the bottom of the car and subframe, etc or on the body shell and sheet metal, ie, hood, doors, fenders, quarters, trunk lid, etc. Did it warp the thinner metal parts at all? I am worried I will warp the pieces. If you did all the sheet metal and it came out good, what air pressure do you blast at and was the starblast a certain size of grain. How far away did you hold the blast head? Sorry for all the questions, but I would like to get it right the first time, Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts