Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found someone to blast my 2 fenders and one rear quarter, both inside and out, for $65 a piece. the quarter is cut off of a donor car. He said he will use crushed glass. anyone have any experience with this media? is this a good price? thanks in advance.
-jay

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Blasting body panels

That price is OK, provided he really does inside and out. It is considerable work to blast inside a body panel due to lack of vision, and actually getting the blast nozzle inside the panel at the correct angle to do any good.
Why does he want or need to use glass? My guess is to prevent the most common problem with blasting a body panel which is distorting the panel due to high pressure. I have not used glass but I figure it is more expensive and less aggresive than "Black Beauty" (standard coal slag abrasive media, +/- $10 per 100lb bag, approx. 2.5 bags for the 3 panels). I have had good luck blasting body panels with extra fine Black Beauty at about 90 psi with commercial blast equipment. Remember blasting all the original primer and undercoating off of a body panel does no good if you dont get a good coat of quality primer everywhere you have just blasted. Also don't leave the panels laying around after they are blasted as the moisture in the air will stick to the metal like glue. Use an epoxy primer even before body work and lay into the inside of the panels with the primer, especially the nooks and crannies. If you dont have the money for the primer work dont blast.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i do plan on getting them primed as soon as i get them back. i will get them done within a day or two at the most. from the moment i get them back untill i get them spayed, they will be inside sitting right in front of a dehumidifier. i do not have a true" shop" so that is the best i can do. he will also be getting inside 100% all three panels are off the car so access will not be any problem. as for why he uses glass, i do not know. that is what he advertises. for a higher $$ he will soda blast. if i go that route, dont i have to do something to the metal befoe i prime to neutralize the soda?
-jay

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
i do plan on getting them primed as soon as i get them back. i will get them done within a day or two at the most. from the moment i get them back untill i get them spayed, they will be inside sitting right in front of a dehumidifier. i do not have a true" shop" so that is the best i can do. he will also be getting inside 100% all three panels are off the car so access will not be any problem. as for why he uses glass, i do not know. that is what he advertises. for a higher $$ he will soda blast. if i go that route, dont i have to do something to the metal befoe i prime to neutralize the soda?
-jay
I'm not real familiar with the soda blast. I wouldn't worry about all that, any standard media will remove the rust, paint etc.. Just being inside will keep them just fine until you prime them. Maybe the glass leaves a smoother finish. If the surface is rough skuff it with 180 or 200 grit first. Blow out all the old media too.
Even with the panels off it's a pain to get at. You'll see when you prime them.
Good luck have fun

1 - 4 of 4 Posts