Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I purchased one of the Harbor Freight pressure blaster and sdecided to test it out this morning. It works absolutly GREAT... I could not have asked for more.
I only did a small part of the bottom of the body shell, I am using Black Magnum media. I did a floor pan and then started on a brace piece and it took it down to bare metal (silver) then it started to take a thin layer of something else off with bare metal under that also.
What is the coating that looked like bare metal???
I was thinking it might be a galvanized coating or something like that.
If so do I leave it on or take it off? I will be spraying a primer down before
I put on the Chassis Black.

I am allergic to EPOXY so is there a primer I could use before the Chassis black that is not a etch primer or and Epoxy primer?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have been thinking of buying one of those from HF to do my underside and front clip. Can you post the model number or a pic of which one you have? Also, how do you have it set up to re-collect your media? Did you build a blast room or anything like that?
Sorry, I am not sure what that coating is unless it would be the factory primer.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
IMO, unless it's really rusty just use sand. I use play sand from Home Depot sifted through a screen and it has worked well for me. The Black Beauty type media was way too agressive for my tastes. I'm blasting suspension parts, not a bulldozer blade. Do not do body panels like quarters and fenders unless you know what you are doing and use the proper media. You can warp panels that way.

I blast the stuff with play sand, then spray it with degreaser followed by Rustoleum's Professional Primer and Professional Black. Not period correct but adhesion is great, it's durable, and looks awesome.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Hey Justsomeguy, You didn't buy the blaster at the Harbor Freight in Aurora,IL on 31 ? I saw a guy walking out with one around noon on wed.:turn:

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Black Beauty is good but, as WildBilly said, it's pretty aggressive. It's basically coal slag. The only thing I don't like about it is it gets pretty dusty but so does playsand. Not sure what type of playsand you're using Billy but be careful. Usually that stuff is silica based and that is REALLY bad for your lungs even with a respirator!
I've found that Australian garnet does a really nice job, doesn't dust too much and isn't quite as aggresive as Black Beauty so you can shoot quarters and fenders with it and not have to worry too much about warpage as long as you are mindful of the heat you are generating on the panel.

John

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Black Beauty is good but, as WildBilly said, it's pretty aggressive. It's basically coal slag. The only thing I don't like about it is it gets pretty dusty but so does playsand. Not sure what type of playsand you're using Billy but be careful. Usually that stuff is silica based and that is REALLY bad for your lungs even with a respirator!
I've found that Australian garnet does a really nice job, doesn't dust too much and isn't quite as aggresive as Black Beauty so you can shoot quarters and fenders with it and not have to worry too much about warpage as long as you are mindful of the heat you are generating on the panel.

John
John,

Very true. I didn't mention that I use a hopper style blaster, outdoors with a respirator.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No that was not me, I had mine shipped to me. I purchased the 110lb one just because I thought that it wouldn't have to be filled so offen and with that small opening it would take a while. Really it was not bad filling it, they give you a funnel and the Black Magnum poured through the funnel just about as fast as I could pour it out of the bag. I will glad to take a picture just give me a quick lesson on how to post them.
The Black Magnum is prepared and bagged in a plant just outside of my town and I purchased it at my local Menards. There is also a huge silica sand plant (white sand) and quarry in my town and I can get the silica sand free, but it causes so much dust I quit using it. I have a complete fresh air, blasting helmet and suit set-up to keep me from breathing the dust. The Black Magnum does not cause anywhere near the dust the silica sand did. My experience with this stuff was in my blast cabinet. I am doing this outside so dust does not seem to be a problem.
I do not have a recovery system. Unless you call the plastic sheet on the ground a collection device. I just sweep what I can up, sift it and use it again. I am thinking of hanging a plastic sheet some way that would keep the media from going everwhere but have not thought that thru.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts