Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an awesome 67 Acadian Canso SD I checked out. Some cool options and supposed to be an L-79 too.
20210108_151142.jpg 20210108_165223.jpg 20210108_164746.jpg 20210108_164756.jpg 20210108_164733.jpg 20210108_164650.jpg 20210108_164644.jpg 20210108_164803.jpg 20210108_164813.jpg 20210108_165213.jpg

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
66 L-79...
20210108_155635.jpg 20210108_155730.jpg 20210108_155625.jpg 20210108_155645.jpg 20210108_155819.jpg 20210108_155810.jpg Ouch! What is the deal with these tires? They look too large in diameter and the wheels are way too far forward in the wells.

·
13,994 Posts
There were no 1967 Acadian L79s built. This engine is done up like a '66. Cowl tag indicates it was born with a PG. Also, there was no vinyl top option on 1966 or 67 Canadian Chevy IIs or Acadians. Backup lights were standard on an SD, so they've been removed. Radios were always options. Probably never ordered for this car, or removed. Very nice, rare car with lots of changes from birth.

Bob

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bob, I knew you would have the 411 on this car. I didn't know about the vinyl top being available or not on these cars. Were there vinyl top options on the US Novas? Car did have a rear defrost, headrests and a remote controlled mirror. Don't see those to often I bet.
I heard it run and it sounded great. Had a lumpy idle which explains why there is an electric vacuum pump under the battery for the power brake booster. The booster was an aftermarket small diameter unit which looks like crap to me.

·
Registered
725 Posts
There were no 1967 Acadian L79s built. This engine is done up like a '66. Cowl tag indicates it was born with a PG. Also, there was no vinyl top option on 1966 or 67 Canadian Chevy IIs or Acadians. Backup lights were standard on an SD, so they've been removed. Radios were always options. Probably never ordered for this car, or removed. Very nice, rare car with lots of changes from birth.

Bob
was interior paint not flattened on Canadian cars?

also, what is the correct placement or even inclusion of the wiring loom "hook" found near the heater on the firewall? the black second gen Nova has one, the Acadian does not. sometimes i see them, sometimes i don't, and the orientation of them is all over the place, but tends to be one of the three heater motor speed nuts. is there a standard placement from factory? and people just move them during resto?

sorry to semi-hijack, but these cars provide a great example.

BTW, great looking cars. the bent wheel arch trim is a bummer, though! definitely won't just "buff out."

-Rusty

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
888 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pictures. Some very nice cars.

·
13,994 Posts
Bob, I knew you would have the 411 on this car. I didn't know about the vinyl top being available or not on these cars. Were there vinyl top options on the US Novas? Car did have a rear defrost, headrests and a remote controlled mirror. Don't see those to often I bet.
I heard it run and it sounded great. Had a lumpy idle which explains why there is an electric vacuum pump under the battery for the power brake booster. The booster was an aftermarket small diameter unit which looks like crap to me.
Yes, you could get optional vinyl top coverings on 1966 and 67 U.S. cars, but not in Canada. Notice the cowl tag indicates the RPO D99 'C' pillar chrome moldings even though there was no vinyl roof or 2 tone. A lot of single tone Canadian hardtops got these moldings, sometimes without even ordering. The headrests, rear defogger and remote mirror aren't coded on the cowl tag. These may have been added later, or not shown on this tag. We've come to understand that coding of cowl tag options on Canadian cars wasn't consistent. If that wood tone steering wheel is a real Acadian accessory, it's the first I've ever seen. Was there any sign of GM Canada documentation with this car? It has numerous additions/changes from new, so maybe the owner didn't display it.

Bob

·
13,994 Posts
was interior paint not flattened on Canadian cars? Also, what is the correct placement or even inclusion of the wiring loom "hook" found near the heater on the firewall? the black second gen Nova has one, the Acadian does not. sometimes i see them, sometimes i don't, and the orientation of them is all over the place, but tends to be one of the three heater motor speed nuts. is there a standard placement from factory? and people just move them during resto?
-Rusty
Interior sheet metal on Canadian cars was painted the same as U.S. The paint on this car may have been redone.

The wiring routing and clip on the L79 car is not correct. The assembly manual shows this wire running through the last clip holding the windshield washer hose and then straight down to the right (as you're looking at it from the front) of the heater blower. Out of sight farther down the firewall is a horizontal clip that secures the wire. This clip is frequently missing and that's why we see so many incorrect routings of this wire. It doesn't appear that this Acadian has the clip, as you can see the wire lower down veering off toward the fender skirt. This clip was missing from my L79 and I couldn't find a repro in 2000. It may be available in the after market today.

Bob

·
13,994 Posts
That white Acadian was for sale in Northern WI a few months ago. It was listed for $62k
This appears to be a very nice Acadian, but that's a lot of money for a non numbers matching car. I'd have a lot of questions and want the GM Canada documentation to see how it was originally built. Anything can happen at an auction, so we'll see where it ends up.

Bob

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,859 Posts
Here is my Question : in the 1st post , the second picture : of the "white 67 Pontiac Acadan Canso SD " ...
....... showing the rear back- up lights = mounted in the "rear bumper" . . . are those lights - - Reproudced ? .

I am changing my rear tail-lights to LED (in my 69 rear lights) (which do away with the 69 back-up lights) at the stock location . (does that make sense) .
So , I'm looking for "some - rear bumper mounted back - up lights" .
............... maybe even some Chevelle , bumper mounted back-up lights ? ? ? . . . . anyone ?

Not too go off topic . . . . . that 67 Pontiac Acadan Canso is very nice indeed . . . . . . just looking for
info .

jim

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,859 Posts
Here is my Question : in the 1st post , the second picture : of the "white 67 Pontiac Acadan Canso SD " ...
....... showing the rear back- up lights = mounted in the "rear bumper" . . . are those lights - - Reproudced ? .

I am changing my rear tail-lights to LED (in my 69 rear lights) (which do away with the 69 back-up lights) at the stock location . (does that make sense) .

So , I'm looking for "some - rear bumper mounted back - up lights" .

Not too go off topic . . . . . that 67 Pontiac Acadan Canso is very nice indeed . . . . . . just looking for
info .

jim
I think I found "Those Style of BACK - UP lights" = 64 Tempest . . mounted in the rear - bumper .

(just gotta search around . . . . )

jim

·
13,994 Posts
jim
The backup lights are not reproduced, Jim. The bumper and cover plates aren't either. This Acadian sport deluxe would have had reverse lights in the bumper as standard equipment. Not sure what the point is in removing reverse lights, but it's his car (or was).

Bob

·
Registered
66 Chevy II, 67 Chevy II, 65 C10
712 Posts
The red 67 with 283 and auto trans, non SS sold for $35,200 plus the premium. Clean looking but nothing super special about the car. I would think that just shy of a total of $40,000 would mean something like the white acadian would sell for more. I remember a discussion a while back and guys saying no one wants a 283 powerglide car or maybe they were saying no one will pay up for one. $40K is good money for that car. I am interested in what the black 66 sport coupe "L79" and the gold 67 go for

·
Registered
66 Chevy II, 67 Chevy II, 65 C10
712 Posts

·
13,994 Posts
For some reason, Acadians have never demanded top dollars in the U.S. A comparable 1966 Nova SS would have gone higher. $50K is about all the money for this one. Owner should have taken it.

Bob

1 - 20 of 25 Posts