Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,887 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking too much for missing a lot of trim, wouldn't you say? Good looking car, and the body panels seem to fit pretty nice for a convertible, but maybe a little high. Tough to make a basket case look like that one for $30K plus the original cost of the car.

·
13,812 Posts
Looks like a nice car, buy agree that the price is a tad high. Too bad all the moldings are gone. Might have given it a boost if the chrome peak trim had been left on. Could be the lighting, but this Monaco Blue looks very light. The attached photo is grainy, but this is how I remember Monaco Blue on a '63 SS convertible.

Bob
img030.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
As usual, ol' picky Dave has some comments:
1. I don't really mind the lack of side trim. It's a personal choice.
2. If you're going to put a V8 in your Nova, either ditch the 6 cylinder emblems or put a "V" emblem in their place.
3. Personal opinion: Those are definitely the wrong wheels for this car.
4. How on earth do you justify advertising 300 HP for a 305 with stock heads and exhaust manifolds?
5. For the past couple of years, I've been trying to help a friend find a nice Nova convertible. The $32k ticket does NOT surprise me.

·
Super Moderator
3,887 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what is a 'nice' one? Actually, what are the criteria you're looking for for your friend?

In my mind, a rust-free body that's complete with all the convertible stuff would constitute nice, even if it had lousy, worn out everything else, but everyone's different. Seems that these cars are often very customized when finished, and it's hard to match personal tastes.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
a friend of mine bought a 63 convert a year ago for 12,750 from the original owner. it has like 32,000 miles all original an rust free.

·
Registered
66 Chevy II, 67 Chevy II, 65 C10
674 Posts
Looks like a really nice clean car you can drive anywhere. 32K while high isnt crazy to me for a car this nice. getting harder and harder to find clean cars to make this nice for that money

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Nice looking very.. I’m curious about the wheels though. They are a pretty common nice looking wheel but when I’ve looked them up the sizings don’t seem compatible with a 1st gen. 7” width wheels with 4” bs. Though the car is sitting pretty high.. Not quite the stance I would want
D075FAFB-8130-42D6-89C3-9678A5159F47.png

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what is a 'nice' one? Actually, what are the criteria you're looking for for your friend?

In my mind, a rust-free body that's complete with all the convertible stuff would constitute nice, even if it had lousy, worn out everything else, but everyone's different.
Greg's been in the car and motorcycle business all his life. What he really wants is a solid, rust-free car. He'd prefer a V8, but would take a 6 - probably needs to be an automatic so others in the family can drive it. Paint, mechanicals, etc. he can handle. He's just been in a constant state of disbelief at the prices of just 'drivers'. I said that the price of this one didn't surprise me because we've also looked at quite a few 'finished' cars - all of which have had HIGH asking prices.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Asking prices are not necessarily selling prices.. As are we all getting older, those who are of the older generations(boomers and earlier) who have been into cars have to pair down their collections and sell off what they have or their families liquidate the cars after the collector has passed. If nobody in the family wants the stuff or the families want to cash out on their inheritance rather then have cars.. It ends up on the market for sale.. The younger generations are not gear heads like most of us and their interests lie elsewhere..

·
13,812 Posts
Nice looking very.. I’m curious about the wheels though. They are a pretty common nice looking wheel but when I’ve looked them up the sizings don’t seem compatible with a 1st gen. 7” width wheels with 4” bs. Though the car is sitting pretty high.. Not quite the stance I would want

The ad says these are 17 inch wheels. The style has to be just right to make a wheel this size look good on a 1st generation Chevy II. These don't do it for me.

Bob

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
833 Posts
As usual, ol' picky Dave has some comments:

2. If you're going to put a V8 in your Nova, either ditch the 6 cylinder emblems or put a "V" emblem in their place.

5. For the past couple of years, I've been trying to help a friend find a nice Nova convertible. The $32k ticket does NOT surprise me.
I put a V8 in my car and left the "6" badges on the fender. Never gave it much thought. I bought some 327 emblems but they didn't fit the hole pattern of the 6 and I didn't want to drill new holes.
I've seen a couple of what I would consider nice convertibles in the high teens to low twenties. Would you consider that high?
Just curious. Not planning on selling.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
I put a V8 in my car and left the "6" badges on the fender. Never gave it much thought. I bought some 327 emblems but they didn't fit the hole pattern of the 6 and I didn't want to drill new holes.
I've seen a couple of what I would consider nice convertibles in the high teens to low twenties. Would you consider that high?

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
If you got 1962-63 Impala and/or Corvette 327 emblems (they have crossed flags), they would fit the factory holes, just like if the factory planned it. I put them on mine. I found an original set on eBay, but they reproduce them too.

I would probably sell my Convertible for the price that the auction car sold for. Realistically, I may sell it for less too. Its not stock.

·
Registered
212 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Just my opinion but this big wheel thing is GOOFY!! some cars look really classy with the right wheel and tire combo, the car has to sit right, and not a foot off the pavement!! and if I had a Super Sport ragtop I would have left the peak moldings on and had the car sit right. the eight cylinder question, why do you put a 305 in a first gen. ragtop?? it is not terribly difficult to find a correct Nova 283 and or 327 between the fenders. put a little ZING!! from the 60's.I used the V-8 V's on my 63 hardtop I love the look. I do not see very many ragtops up here in the pacific northwest way to much rain good luck trying to find one that has not rusted in half!! I like a stock appearing Nova but not say you cannot upgrade a few things!!

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,887 Posts
Even with Impala seats, could be a bargain. On these cars, just as Dave B. was saying, it's all about the body. If the low cost white '63 SS with it's trim is rust free it's very cheap. If the floors are soft, the rockers and quarters are buttered with bondo or worst of all, if the lower cowl has rust, then it's no bargain. Some of these convertibles in the $6-$8K range have rusty bodies and won't be structurally sound until taken all the way down and repaired.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts