Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to pick up a nice 454 block locally. Standard bore 2 bolt mains 454 block, needs to be cleaned but what wouldn't need to be after sitting for a while. The guy wants $150 for the block and I have been talking to Pat at Nyes Automotive down in Muncie. I told Pat what I was looking for and he recommended a 496, he said he has built one before to the specs that I am looking at. I didn't get the specs of what cam or anything yet, he stated that he would use an Eddy intake, Eddy heads, a Quick Fuel 850CFM carb, and a mechanical fuel pump. He said I should be right around 525hp and 540tq when it's all said and done. My question is, do you guys think this power level is attainable on a mechanical fuel pump and 2 bolt mains on this block or do I NEED an electric fuel pump and 4 bolt main block? Any input is awesome.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Stud the bottom end, you will be fine. I am running an electric pump, nothing to it. 525 I would say is lowballing it, my 461 put 500.5hp on the engine dyno. Add 35 cubes, should be an easy 550 motor. You will love it. Just remember, getting the block is the cheapest part on the motor. Get it and have a ball!!

Tiny

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome. I just called the guy again and I'm going to take a look at it on Sunday. 525 would make me more than happy, I can't imagine what 550 would be like :devil:.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Yes, a mechanical fuel pump and a studded bottom end will be fine. A 496 dosen't need to rev really high like smaller engines do, but with that many cubes, and aftermarket heads, I'd be really disappointed if that engine didn't make atleast 600hp and 600tq. For only aq couple hundred dollars more you can get a set of Brodix Race Rite heads that should outperform the Edelbrocks in an out of the box comparison. They also have the stock export location.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pat was saying that he would actually have to de-tune it to get it close to where I want (525-540hp). My two main concerns with the power of the motor is the driveshaft and rear end. I will be using my 10 bolt rear with 3.73 gears for at least 1 year and the stock drive shaft. After that I'll be getting a custom drive shaft and Moser rear end with either 3.73's or 4.11's, I'm still undecided on which gears to get but that would be after 1 year. Just kind of afraid I would shred the rear and driveshaft with anymore power.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Solid u-joints in the driveshaft will add a lot of strength. If you are running the original 8.5 rear, it is nearly as strong as a 12 bolt. Moser uses a really beefy case though.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Solid u-joints in the driveshaft will add a lot of strength. If you are running the original 8.5 rear, it is nearly as strong as a 12 bolt. Moser uses a really beefy case though.
That's good to know! I had figured that I would shatter the rear end with a setup like that 496. I'll look into some solid u-joints any brands you guys recommend?

·
Registered
379 Posts
You might want to check, but I think some of the edelbrock heads require special pistons. It might just be for high domes though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts