Votes: 92 38.3%
  • Electric

Votes: 148 61.7%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would like to share my experience on this topic. I have a 66 that I built a brand new motor for. Everything was new except heads and intake. The radiator was a aluminum griffin 15 x 30. Tried two 12" electric fans with no shroud. Motor would run 180-190 down the highway and climb to 220 at a light. Took the the electric fans of and tried a 15" flex fan still without a shroud. No change. Then I tried a 19x26 aluminum triple pass (no shroud) from a dirt track buddy. Still no change. Then I took the thermostat housing off to change the thermostat and to my surprise there wasn't one. The intake was from a friend that had it on his 406 in a 70 camaro. Put a 160 in it and it helped a lot. Temp climbs while sitting still but slower. I tried the electric fans again and that was a mistake. Temp acted the same as before the thermostat install. I then bought a do it yourself shroud with a 15" afco mechanical fan. That was well worth the money. Temp stays right around 200 at lights and drops down to 180 on hwy. (put a 180 thermostat) I am tempted to try a electric with the shroud but the reliability of a mechanical keeps me from doing so. I don't have anything against electric. They wouldn't put them on most new cars if they didn't work. I'm not an expert but I belive from my experience that shrouds restrictors in the coolant are a must but may not be needed for other people's setup.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think the main reason most newer cars use electric fans is because of computer controls and also the engine compartments are usually alot tighter.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Electric fans are not rocket science....they are more efficient. No reason to spin a mechanical fan (or electric) when you are cruising down the highway at 65 mph...waste of fuel/hp as you have a 65 mph blast of air for free.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm running a 408 sb around 530 hp with a flex fan and stock shroud with an Aluminum Radiator stays around 180-190, even when it was 90+ degrees. Never had a problem with a mechanical fan. Forget all that fancy sh**. :yes:
And don't believe you'll save hp with an electric fan.
You are right..OEM's don't have a clue now days.

:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
3,583 Posts
Have a 12V Cummins where the fan broke apart. They don't sell an aftermarket mechanical fan for that truck, and it isn't available at the dealer. Good originals go for north of $400. No kidding. So I bought an expensive electric fan kit that worked, just not as well as the original fan with a fan clutch.

On the question of saved HP, there was a noticeable difference with the electric fan for power. Electric fan had little or no mechanical drag on the engine, while the mechanical fan did, especially when the fan clutch kicked in. So, one testimonial that fan drag costs power.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Mechanical fan here.

Because I like to live by the KISS theory.

Just like I have a mechanical water pump, mechanical fuel pump. And I don't run a fancy MSD box on my small body distributor either.

No extra wires, no worrying if it will or won't work.

Sure e-fans have their place. I believe all FWD cars today have them as the engines are usually transversely mounted.

On an all out drag car without an alternator, an e-fan is better, along with e-fuel pump and e-water pump.

I got a lot of flack for my mechanical fan/shroud route. When the clutch unlocks I'm almost certain theres no drag on the engine like some may think.

One thing I've always pondered....why some put e-fans on with mechanical water pump and have the fan running when the engine is off. The coolants not moving, all you're doing is cooling what's in the radiator. :bored: Now an e-fan and e-water pump on while sitting not running....might be a good thing. :cool:

·
Registered
148 Posts
ELECTRIC fans worked for me

As crowded as Nova engine
compartments are ( especially 1st gens with v8s) they are not as crowded as a modern car . not even close , I ran mechanical fans in my first gens for years ( without any overheating issues)until I installed a 383 stroker running a 10.5 to 1 compression ratio in my '63 ss convertible . I tried EVERYTHING and spent a lot of money to try to keep that mechanical fan ( clutch) I like to keep things as simple as possible ( should have kept the little 327 that was in it, lol) Anyways on hot so cal days 90 degrees + my problem was always idling in traffic or waiting in line at the drive thru .I no longer enjoyed driving my car it really sucked . My car would quickly climb to 220 and beyond ... 225 , Some here might point out that those temperatures are not that hot but for me I wasn't used to that needle reading so high.I took advice from this forum and purchased and installed an entropy radiator with dual fans. ... PROBLEM SOLVED ! I never go past 195 because when it hits 195 the dual fans kick on and QUICKLY drop the temp down and the fans turn off. These fans only come on when I am stopped or driving extremely slow ( crawling) . They never come on when I am actually moving. For redundancy I ran two separate relays and I also installed an under dash switch . Even if BOTH fans were to fail at once ( highly unlikely) I know if I can keep moving I can make it home. Electric fans absolutely worked for me. It goes without saying, I had to upgrade the alternator and the wiring and the fans are noisy but the peace of mind that comes with driving a cool running car is well worth it... My only regret was that I didn't go to electric fans sooner .

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
As crowded as Nova engine
compartments are ( especially 1st gens with v8s) they are not as crowded as a modern car . not even close , I ran mechanical fans in my first gens for years ( without any overheating issues)until I installed a 383 stroker running a 10.5 to 1 compression ratio in my '63 ss convertible . I tried EVERYTHING and spent a lot of money to try to keep that mechanical fan ( clutch) I like to keep things as simple as possible ( should have kept the little 327 that was in it, lol) Anyways on hot so cal days 90 degrees + my problem was always idling in traffic or waiting in line at the drive thru .I no longer enjoyed driving my car it really sucked . My car would quickly climb to 220 and beyond ... 225 , Some here might point out that those temperatures are not that hot but for me I wasn't used to that needle reading so high.I took advice from this forum and purchased and installed an entropy radiator with dual fans. ... PROBLEM SOLVED ! I never go past 195 because when it hits 195 the dual fans kick on and QUICKLY drop the temp down and the fans turn off. These fans only come on when I am stopped or driving extremely slow ( crawling) . They never come on when I am actually moving. For redundancy I ran two separate relays and I also installed an under dash switch . Even if BOTH fans were to fail at once ( highly unlikely) I know if I can keep moving I can make it home. Electric fans absolutely worked for me. It goes without saying, I had to upgrade the alternator and the wiring and the fans are noisy but the peace of mind that comes with driving a cool running car is well worth it... My only regret was that I didn't go to electric fans sooner .
X2 Entropy radiator with dual fans. ... PROBLEM SOLVED ! :yes: My 383 runs 185/190 all day long.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My choice is almost purely for ascetics. The electric fan allows a much cleaner installation in my 1st Gen. I run 180-190 even on the hottest Florida day. I am not however making the huge horsepower numbers that many members on here are.

·
Registered
9,899 Posts
My choice is almost purely for ascetics. The electric fan allows a much cleaner installation in my 1st Gen. I run 180-190 even on the hottest Florida day. I am not however making the magical horsepower numbers that many members on here are.
You should remember that when you are making those "magical" power numbers your fan is greatly overshadowed by the 150 mph air rushing through the radiator...

·
Registered
165 Posts
You should remember that when you are making those "magical" power numbers your fan is greatly overshadowed by the 150 mph air rushing through the radiator...
Magical was a poor choice of words for my meaning. Monstrous or huge would be better and I have edited to that. I am constantly in awe of the amount of performance people are squeezing out of these cars. Thus it is magical to me.

·
Registered
9,899 Posts
Magical was a poor choice of words for my meaning. Monstrous or huge would be better and I have edited to that. I am constantly in awe of the amount of performance people are squeezing out of these cars. Thus it is magical to me.
It doesn't have to be 'magical' to have the same effect. Put a crate 350ci/350hp motor in a car and put it in the 350 hp mode. Rather quickly it will be going well in excess of 120 mph and the fan becomes inconsequential.

·
Registered
70 Posts
cooling

I have a 350 with a 3 core aluminum radiator and 19" 8 blade mechanical fan with a clutch. Works great. but it makes sooooo much noise when I take off I sound like the big semis when their fans kick in.
Going to add vintage air next winter. So here's my question, Should I go to electric fans now to get rid of the noise?
I've been thinking of a stock fan shroud with a large electric fan mounted in the shroud.
help and comments would be a help.
Thanks

41 - 60 of 65 Posts