Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I'm going to be changing my factory iron water pump to a high volume aluminum water pump...Anybody had any good/bad experiences? I'm leaning toward either an Edelbrock or a Weiand Team-G model. My small block has the long water pump on it and it'll stay a long water pump.

Jason

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Jason, I ran an Edelbrock on my old BBC combo without any problem. Great pump and I think that they are rebuildable if needed. They are also available in 3 or 4 different finishes. Just my $.02.

Scott

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
I had the center shaft on my Eddy pump snap off about 90 seconds after I installed it. Then Eddy would'nt back their product- I would'nt recommend them.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
I just installed the Stewert Comp Stage II water pump on my 383 a few weeks ago.. It was $160.. It a real nice unit..

http://www.stewartcomponents.com/
Same pump here. Well worth the extra coins. If this pump won't help cool your car down, NOTHING WILL!....other than a more efficient radiator. :D

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
i have an electric one, but the VICTOR JR pump works nice on my buddy's car, & the block is cemented. i was gonna run that till i decided to go electric.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I tried an edelbrock victor on a BBC. It was no different in temp from a stock unit with an anti-cavitation washer in it. I went to a Meziere electric. Problem solved. 2 more cents.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
If I ever changed back to a mechanical pump(although I can't think of a reason why I ever would)and money were no object(it always is) I'd go with the Stewert. For a race application I would never run a mechanical--in 5 minutes I can cool to about 120 degrees or less between rounds by running the electric water pump and fan.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Five minute's of running off a battery with a high amp fan and an electric water pump would make me think that you might have a dead battery for the next round
Dale, remember what I told you about leaving my alternator unplugged one day at Irwindale? I ran 3 time trials and 3 rounds of the bracket race, cooling between every round--never noticed until I turned on the headlights to drive home and they were kinda brown!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I have the Stewart Stage II on mine. I gotta say, they're awesome pieces. It cooled so good that I had to take the fan off so that it could warm up. And after that, in 80-85 degree weather, it never went past 180. :eek:

I'd definitely recommend it.

Matt

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
I have the Stewart Stage II on mine. I gotta say, they're awesome pieces. It cooled so good that I had to take the fan off so that it could warm up. And after that, in 80-85 degree weather, it never went past 180. :eek:

I'd definitely recommend it.
I'm sorta glad to hear that with the Stewart pump that I'm not the only one who has had their cooling system be a bit TOO efficient. :rolleyes:

I'll take that over overheating any day though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would also agree on running a Stewart. I had a stage 4 on my last engine which was a supercharged BBC. No problems at all.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Greetings,

Well you guys converted me...I ordered my Stewart Stage II pump tonight! I should get it Monday or Tuesday at the latest. I'm hoping to install it on Tuesday, which is my day off.

I'm hoping it's as good as you're saying it is!

Jason

1 - 18 of 18 Posts