Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i may have found what im looking for, but its half way acrross the country. its a roller. anybody see anything that would tell me to stay away from this one?

thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Vendor
1,835 Posts
Has the driver's quarter been replaced along with the outer tub? The front subframe looks possibly pitted under the "paint everything" engine compartment job. Do they have all the pieces for the interior, roof rail stainless, back window stainless, etc?

Any more pics? Undercarriage shots?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Pictures look pretty good with nice paint and body lines. But don't know what's under the paint. From back window view appears to be some rust on passenger side floor and with overspray on rear deck hard to tell about it. From the one picture of inside may be some rust on back side of firewall. Hard to tell and may not be bad.

Been good if the truck pan, more of inside cab and underneath where they may not be any paint. Depending on where it is, may can get someone to make a visual inspection for you and find out what some history is on car (cowl tag info, vin, who did the work that's been done, etc.)

·
Registered
955 Posts
It's always a problem buying somebody else's project half way thru. Unless you know the car or owner you really have no clue about the quality of the work that has already been done. I'd look at it very close in person before buying. There is no way I'd buy it without seeing it in person unless it was dirt cheap and then I'd be wondering why it was so cheap. I have a friend who just went and bought a 67 GTO and didn't take anybody with him that knew what to look for. It's going to need both front fenders, inner and outer rockers, both door skins, a complete floor to the rear tail section, inner rear wheel wells and tail section work. It was a total disaster. Before he gets through fixing what has to be fixed he could have went out and bought a nice car. Ironically, it does seem to be pretty solid around the back glass which is a known problem on those cars

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
I've purchased two vehicles so far cross country. Prior to purchasing them I googled the local area and found a garage that would do a full inspection on the car. I wasn't looking for perfection, I just wanted to know for sure what I was buying. If that doesn't work, maybe search on this site for a member who lives close to the car that might be able to check it out for you.

·
Premium Member
3,932 Posts
Hard to say. Pics of metal work could be telling or reassuring. Pay to have someone inspect it if you can’t. Pretty 67. Almost like a garnet red color. I cant see the engine bay pic.
that car could go for $15-20k with no difficulty.
Just a guess.

·
Registered
1972 Nova
376 Posts
It worries me when somebody has the outside completely painted before touching the inside at all. Seems like putting lipstick on a pig (and hiding lots of bodywork or bondo).

That steering shaft angle seems extreme to me with converting to a front steer R&P, but from a quick Google it looks like the aftermarket subframes must all be like that with the swap.

·
Vendor
1,835 Posts
It worries me when somebody has the outside completely painted before touching the inside at all. Seems like putting lipstick on a pig (and hiding lots of bodywork or bondo).
YES! I thought of this later after my first response. Everyone has their own method, but we always at a minimum prepped interiors first before paint. You run the risk of all the old paint, rust, dirt and overspray getting on the new outside paint. Getting rust "dust" on new paint is to be avoided. And a total PITA trying to prep the interior and not scratch the doors, jambs or rockers.

And very sound advice about having someone go look at it. Especially for the money this person is probably asking.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Personally, I would ask on this site if anyone is in or near the city it is in. Have them look at it, and if they think it is a solid, rust free car that you may be interested in, check out the cost of a plane ticket. If you are flexible, and you are both at larger airports, I would bet a round trip ticket would be less than $400.00 A cheap price to avoid a thousands of dollars mistake. Also, negotiating in person will usually get you a better deal. Plus, the seller knows you are serious.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
i looks like the body is totally striped. it's all those little parts that are not there that really runs up the price to finish.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Very hard to tell from the pics, but I would also be suspect of the fender to door alignment on the driver side, among all the other concerns listed above. I suppose whether or not you buy it depends on the price, how picky you are, and what you want out of the car.

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
Are the fenders OEM or Repops the headlight bezel dont seem to fit well RE-POPS suck hard to tell with things thrown together MAKE sure you get all the parts or your going to be nickel and dimed, Car haulers charge more for hauling NON op car check it out. May be worth a plane ticket .. find a Local member to check it out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts