Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at open car trailers. Some are 8' wide (76"between fenders) but most are 8'-6" (82" between fenders). My reading of Illinois law seems to say maximum trailer width of 8-6 is only on class l and ll highways (these are roads with 12' lane width) and all other roads have an 8' max. trailer width.
So ..... Has anyone ever been hassled on a local road with a 102" wide trailer, especially in Illinois? Wisconsin and Indiana seem to be ok to 102" everywhere.

Thanks, Scott

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
The law about everywhere is 102 inch is legal on interstates and major highways. Everywhere else 96 inches is legal. Campers are usually always 96 inch where race car enclosed trailers are 102. I don't know anyone who's been ticketed for the wider stuff. RM

·
Premium Member
8,063 Posts
My dad has two trailers (car and flat) both were built at 8' 6" he built, owns and has pulled both of them in Illinois since they were new. He lives in Mt. Vernon, IL and I think both were inspected to get titles and plates. He built both back in the late 80's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.