Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three questions:

1) what's the maximum rear tire width I can fit in the stock tubs?
2) what rim offset would I need to get that max width?
3) what flange-to-flange dimension is needed (if I'm cutting/re-splining a 9" to fit)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tire width

I have TCI street/strip 4-link under 63 Nova. I contacted TCI (Evan Daley) and he said on rear to use 17" rims 8" wide with 255/40/17 tires (tires 10" wide mounted). He said rims MUST have 4.25" back spacing. Used American Racing Torque Thrust II wheels but had to special order rears to get that back spacing. Had adequate clearance both sides w/o tubs.

Used 17" rims 7" wide on front with 235/40/17. Works OK. 4.25" back spacing is available for this size rims.

This suspension drops car 2" F/R. Might be a rub issue on front if tires too tall. Tires I mentioned have short sidewalls. These are speed rated tires.

Hope this helps!
Jim Reeves
Tyler, TX

·
Premium Member
Serious southern boy living in Jax Fl.
3,967 Posts
I have TCI street/strip 4-link under 63 Nova. I contacted TCI (Evan Daley) and he said on rear to use 17" rims 8" wide with 255/40/17 tires (tires 10" wide mounted). He said rims MUST have 4.25" back spacing. Jim Reeves
Tyler, TX
The only way you can use that backspace is with a narrowed rear. Otherwise you need either 5" or 5.5" like the wheels I posted earlier.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tire size

I mentioned TCI because an aftermarket suspension with Mustang II type front end is by far the best way to do one of these cars. TCI suspension comes with narrowed rear end.

Why fight crowded engine compartment and front sump oil pan with OE front end?

Lots of Luck.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,838 Posts
Three questions:

1) what's the maximum rear tire width I can fit in the stock tubs?
2) what rim offset would I need to get that max width?
3) what flange-to-flange dimension is needed (if I'm cutting/re-splining a 9" to fit)?

Thanks!

You may look at the top of this page : Sticky - Wheel & Tire Fitment .. you may get to see another nova picture of what you want/need .

just FYI (wasn't sure you saw this).(I'm a 3rd gen).

oops .... LOOK Under "Wheel & Tire Section -- top of page "sticky"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts