Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 71 nova with a 350 in it. My question is what is the maximum lift with the stock springs that i can have. I was thinking about geting the summit 1106 cam. will this work. If not what is the biggest i can have. The specs on this cam are 234/234 duration @.050, and .488/.488 lift. Thanks
Trent

·
Registered
218 Posts
If the stock springs are on stock heads, don't even waste your time. I was running a .449 (.480 with 1.6 rockers) [email protected] on stock springs and they gave out at about 4500 rpm. Plus , the iron heads peak at about 450 lift. If your going with a cam that big, get some good heads(most come with decent valve springs) I put afr 195 on my engine and ran low 13's with that small cam. That cam your looking at, with good heads, will get you in the 12's easily

·
Registered
406 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
My old cam is close to the one loneagle recomended. If you want it I'll sent it out to ya, I hate to see it sit on my bench. You have to get new lifters, I yanked out the old ones and didn't keep them numbered. Just don't put a big stall on there, you'll rev right through the meat of the power band.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm running the Summit 1108 cam, with the 'Z28' springs, in low-buck, stock iron heads. I have opted for alum roller rockers.

·
Registered
218 Posts
loneagle, what kind of times you get with that setup in the 1/4?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've never ran it at the strip. Maybe some day!

Are you runnin your Holley with the stock jetting? I'm still workin on getting mine dialed in after the roller cam install.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
i'm not sure of the cost but crane has some stock dia springs made from H-2 (I think) tool steel...anyway they are good for lifts up to .600"...I have ran them myself and had no problems hitting 6500+rpm without missing a beat:)

·
Registered
218 Posts
I took my car for a dynotune and the guy jeted down the secondarys three #'s, but my #7 ign wire was arking on the header giving him a rich reading(failed emmissions cause of that). After all was said and done after new wires, I think I went up one # bigger than stock on the secondarys for my last race of the year on a cool fall night. And I still lost. Moving up to a xe274 solid cam and a 750 dbl pump, so all the fun starts over again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think i will get some z28 springs and get the summit cam kit. Thanks for everyones help.
Trent

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Forgot to ask, does anyone have a sound clip of what this will sound like or one similar to it. Appreciate it
Trent

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
1BAD71 said:
I have a 71 nova with a 350 in it. My question is what is the maximum lift with the stock springs that i can have. I was thinking about geting the summit 1106 cam. will this work. If not what is the biggest i can have. The specs on this cam are 234/234 duration @.050, and .488/.488 lift. Thanks
Trent
First of all do not use the stock springs. Get the right springs for that cam. Second of all why do you need the biggest cam? Oh, never mind. I give up.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Uh...no.
I think when he asked for a sound clip was the clue that gave it away. He wants it big enough to sound like a funny car idling and he's assuming he won't have any problems with it if it's not too big. All you got to do is pick the right $79.95 cam in the Summit catalog.

This question is a old as they come....asked about 10,000 times. I'm sorry if I get tired of it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no, i just wanted to know what the biggest cam was for the stock springs, that is what i was wondering. but i am going to get different springs now. no, i dont want it to sound like a funny car idling either i was just wondering what it would sound like because i am getting anxious to hear it

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Paul Wright said:
Uh...no.
I think when he asked for a sound clip was the clue that gave it away. He wants it big enough to sound like a funny car idling and he's assuming he won't have any problems with it if it's not too big. All you got to do is pick the right $79.95 cam in the Summit catalog.

This question is a old as they come....asked about 10,000 times. I'm sorry if I get tired of it.
Couldn't you run a stock cam and just remove one of the plug wires for a nice, rough idle?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
1BAD71 said:
no, i dont want it to sound like a funny car idling either i was just wondering what it would sound like because i am getting anxious to hear it
I may be a little more grouchy than usual because of the whiplash shift time change, but your lame excuse irritates me for some reason. Maybe it's because it doesn't ring true. Your questions didn't mention CR or head flow or a number of parameters that would be relevant. You just asked how big a cam you could fit without bothering to check and measure anything. Asking how it "sounds" isn't a criteria. An engine will sound good (Or "bad" in your case) if it's built right.

I understand why people want to have their engine sound "bad" imitating a race car idle, but they often don't understand that the race car sound is a by product of poor efficiency at low rpm. They also don't understand that "big" cams don't perform well in low compression engines, especially with stock heads that don't flow past .450" lift (or less), that pushrods and springs and other factors may need upgrading.

Overcammed engines don't sound good. An expert can hear that. So basically people with overcammed, low compression, low flow stock heads and valve floating springs aren't fooling anybody who knows anything.

IMO, the cam you've selected isn't the best choice, but what do I know? good luck.

·
Registered
406 Posts
1BAD71- The Crane 274 camshaft I mentioned earlier will work fine for you, but sometimes you just have to "live and learn"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts