Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what everyone thinks of matte/satin paint jobs? Not a car in spray can black primer. A shop told me they’ll paint my car black with a flat clear coat. Really looking towards doing it since i’ve never been a guy who cared for shiny paint jobs and flashy stuff, I think it makes the nova look like a cool little hot rod? so something like this minus the strip along the side.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Black Satin

I like it, almost went that way myself recently, and I agree with you about deleting the side stripe.

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,337 Posts
Flat clear coats look cool. Even if you have a shiny exterior using the flat clear on the interior painted parts looks cool too.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I love the satin look. My 66 isn't black, but has a satin clear coat.
The only thing that sucks about the satin clear, is if you scratch it. You can't buff it out. Mine also seams to be a dust magnet and I'm constantly wiping it down.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not a fan of it, it has no pop factor.
I get what you mean, That’s exactly why i like it. I’m not a flashy person and having the chrome parts is enough pop for me. But i can see why people find it “Boring”

·
Registered
573 Posts
I second the single stage. Anything that makes fixing it easier. I worked on the Viper program and Prefix did a bunch of Vipers with 2 stage matte finishes and I was told that repairs were difficult. If you're building a $200,000 show car, then I get it, but I always like to pick colors and paint for my car that are easy to repair.

·
Premium Member
7,741 Posts
When I see a car painted satin or primer black (whatever you want to call it), I always think it must be in a transitional phase until the owner can save up enough money to get a real paint job.

I never knew anyone who actually preferred the look of primer (even though it's not really just primer) to a nice paint job. But to each his own I guess.

There would be a few advantages though. It would be easy to touch-up scratches. You could take a replacement body panel and just bolt it on. It's all ready to go. No paint needed.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I'm not a fan of matte / flat / satin. As someone else said, it generally makes me think the car is unfinished.

That said, every sample picture in this thread is decent looking. I guess it depends on how well done the job is.

I wouldn't choose anything but gloss for my own car, but I tend to lean toward "to each his own" when it comes to cars, and I appreciate variety. I don't think the flats are bad - they're just not my preference.

·
Registered
547 Posts
It's your car, so paint it how you envision it.

But, I do think the matte or satin has to be on the "right" car. Personally, I think it looks great on the rat rods, or a drag car. What I would paint a 55 chev gasser, is not necessarily what I would paint my street driven mid 60's car. So for me, it's really the overall look you are going for. Around me, the whole patina thing is also getting overdone. I decided to go for a quality paint job with a very deep clear. But - I could have just as easily left it primered, tubbed it out and left bare steel rims on it and went the drag car route. Just really what you want to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's your car, so paint it how you envision it.

But, I do think the matte or satin has to be on the "right" car. Personally, I think it looks great on the rat rods, or a drag car. What I would paint a 55 chev gasser, is not necessarily what I would paint my street driven mid 60's car. So for me, it's really the overall look you are going for. Around me, the whole patina thing is also getting overdone. I decided to go for a quality paint job with a very deep clear. But - I could have just as easily left it primered, tubbed it out and left bare steel rims on it and went the drag car route. Just really what you want to do.
I have to agree, it really depends on the car and what you’re trying to achieve. If it’s done right, even a rattle can job can look good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I guess that is why they have satin, metallic, flip flop, shiney, dull, and some 50s colors that are solid tone colors. The world is a stage with taste and a wallet to dictate the end result. Some refer to the flat colors as a real great primer representation. Personally Paint must shine and have great depth. Super fine metallic is great not the boat variety. I find high dollar Lexus colors are gorgeous . Hard to spray, repair, and very expensive.
My friend just sprayed a 2003 Dodge truck in a medium blue metallic. PPG was sixteen hundred a gallon. Between primer, paint, clear, and associated materials the bill was in excess of three grand.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts