Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've got a 1972 Nova with an inline six and a 2 speed powerglide. I just bought a 5.3l truck engine and have been researching a lot of the builds on here and seemingly every other website, but haven't seen if someone with a stock powerglide or stock transmission, is able to still bolt the engine to the trans in the car. It seems most people are swapping out for the modern transmissions as well. That may happen, but I'm a ways away from that (doing house renovations and starting a business while doing this). Has anyone kept their powerglide in the car. I've got the truck oil pan, so I understand I need to swap that out, but which oil pan can I get that'll clear the stock k member (a front clip ain't happening either). These are my main concerns now because I would prefer to not have to pull the engine in and out of the car a bunch of times.

Thanks all!
Mike

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the delayed response, I didn't get the email notification like I was supposed to.

Good to know that any fbody pan should work. I know that my pan is way too deep. I met a guy today that said he can cut it down and weld it to make it work. We'll see. Main issue I have is I'm doing this on my own altogether so I don't have the ability to install and remove the engine numerous times. I'm really looking for an install once and move on type deal.

Regarding the powerglide. I know it probably isn't the best option for a streetdriven car, but its what the car has in it now. I honestly could barely afford the salvage yard lsx engine I know I can't afford a different transmission at this point in time... even a salvage yard one to rebuild in the future. Tough times all around, folks!

If I get this adaptor plate thing, will the engine drop in? I know I have to change mounts from the 6 cylinder to the 8 cylinder, but besides that am I looking at stock location?

Mike

·
3,862 Posts
I bought a rebuildable TH350 for $40.00 and there are many deals out there like that.

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
Sorry for the delayed response, I didn't get the email notification like I was supposed to.

Good to know that any fbody pan should work. I know that my pan is way too deep. I met a guy today that said he can cut it down and weld it to make it work. We'll see. Main issue I have is I'm doing this on my own altogether so I don't have the ability to install and remove the engine numerous times. I'm really looking for an install once and move on type deal.

Regarding the powerglide. I know it probably isn't the best option for a streetdriven car, but its what the car has in it now. I honestly could barely afford the salvage yard lsx engine I know I can't afford a different transmission at this point in time... even a salvage yard one to rebuild in the future. Tough times all around, folks!

If I get this adaptor plate thing, will the engine drop in? I know I have to change mounts from the 6 cylinder to the 8 cylinder, but besides that am I looking at stock location?

Mike
See these threads, answers many questions you may have.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/980909-lq4-into-3rd-gen-1972-nova-6.html

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1032289-lq4-1971-nova.html#post10648391

T,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts