Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Matching Old Paint - Low Gloss Clear vs flattening agent

I'd like to paint my quarter panel to match the rest of the car. I was speaking with a local paint store and they suggested trying to match it with a base/clear, using a low gloss clear. They also suggested trying a single stage with a flattening agent.

I'm just wanting to make the car look a little better and prevent the replacement panel from rusting. Not going to repaint the car and I don't want to put a lot of money into this.

·
Registered
928 Posts
just have the body shop with the ideas do it, it can't be matched, you will get some shade of red but it won't match. Like trying to make a 60 year old girl look like when she was 20.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ll be spraying it myself. I don’t expect to match the 52 year old paint on the rest of the car, but I would like to match it as close as possible, and am looking for advice between a single stage with a flattening agent and a base/clear with a low gloss clear.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve thought about it and don’t want to. The car still has its original interior and I don’t want to redo the chrome and trim. Plus, I’m living and working out of state and can only work on the car when I’m in town for the weekend. I want to get some paint on to protect the metal and get the rear window back in.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I’ll be spraying it myself. I don’t expect to match the 52 year old paint on the rest of the car, but I would like to match it as close as possible, and am looking for advice between a single stage with a flattening agent and a base/clear with a low gloss clear.
I think going with a low gloss clear will have more accuracy than flattening out a single stage. It will take some work to get that red really accurate depending how much time your paint supplier will put into tinting the color for you. Then you'll have to make some spray out cards for how much flattening agent to put in the clear coat. write down exactly what you do to achieve each sheen when you do this. Another option may be to spray the driver door and driver fender along with the quarter panel so its not so noticeable from the side view. It wouldn't be much more in materials and just a little more in your time to achieve a better look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts