Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good manual brake master cylinder to use. Im going to have front disk and rear drum. I want to keep it cheap. I read to use one off a 68 vette from auto zone. But I only see a power brake one on the web site.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
69-72 Chevelle
69-74 Nova
70-72 Montie Carlo
69-72 Pontiac Grand Prix, Tempest, GTO
69-7? Camaro
69-72 Buick Skylark, Gran Sport, Apollo, Sport wagon
These cars had drum rear, disc front setups.
The manual master cylinders have a deep cup in the piston where the brake rod goes. The power ones have a shallow cup that requires the brake rod to be shortened to make work.
I wouldn't use the Vette master cyl as those cars were typically Disc front/ disc rear cars.
Match your master cylinder to the type of brakes you have and there should be no problems. Also don't forget the combination valve for disc brake systems. Don't use the drum brake valve.

·
Premium Member
3,932 Posts
for disc/drum brakes off 67 chevelle
A1 cardone 101511 manual master cylinder

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
for disc/drum brakes off 67 chevelle
A1 cardone 101511 manual master cylinder
The 67 chevelle originally had dual piston calipers. similar to a vette. Most disc brake calipers avaliable out there for these cars are the single piston style. There might be a difference in the master cylinder piston diameter between the two differnet style of brake systems. Just thought i'd mention it. Its best to keep the brake systems as closely matched to the original factory designs to avoid problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts