Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first Nova and all was going well with my distributor replacement until I went to find TDC and discovered there's no place to grab a bolt with a socket in the front on the motor to manually turn it over and align my TDC tag with the notch on the balancer! It's the original harmonic balancer (has factory orange paint) and has no center tapped hole for installing a balancer bolt.

Cranking the motor over with the starter doesn't seem precise enough to find TDC and seems foolish to do using a piston stop. How have others found ways to manually turn the crank. FYI the motor is in the car.

Thanks ya'll
Scott

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
pull #1 plug, put your finger in and bump the engine over with the key or a remote starter.

when the air pushes your finger out you're nearing TDC on #1. look at the balancer and hand rotate it to the exact mark or use your piston stop now that you're close.

I can usually put enough pressure on the fan belt to get the the engine to turn by hand, if not use a flywheel tool to turn it from underneath.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a heap

I ended up pulling on an old fan belt wrapped around the balancer and with a little effort she started turning. So back to NAPA for a $20 refund on a bogus adapter I bought today. :)

So now the next problem... the notch on the balancer will not line up with the tcd O on the advance degree tab, it always floats a little past or stays too far away. Does lining the notch up really matter if I can determine that the #1 piston is at tcd using a piston stop? Can I just paint a new reference point on the balancer and go from there?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
when you bump it you'll get close, then hand rotate it as needed, or as said use the piston stop to get it right on. When at true TDC on #1 drop the distributor in.

if you pull up tdc on #1 and the mark doesn't line up, your balancer is bad.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Sounds like you found a way to do it. But......

I just ran into this same issue and found that it is really easy if you pull the spark plugs, wear a heavy set of gloves and turn the lower pulley.

This makes finding TDC very easy and you can be very accurate. Pulling the plugs is a bit of a pain but since you should not have to do it but every once in a while, I think it works great. Good time to check/replace the plugs too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts