Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in turning my 74 nova with a th350 and b&m shifter conversion to the floor from the column. Want to find a stock manual transmission to convert mine and then upgrade the gears for my build any help with where to look or what I need transmission wise would be helpful.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just got done swapping in a SuperT10. There are kits out there that have all the stuff you need as far as pedals and linkage, which is way easier and cheaper than going hydraulic. I dont know what engine you have but make sure you get the correct flywheel as internally and externally balanced engines use a different flywheel. If you can find a trans out of a car with everything it will save you some time trying to track down shifters and bellhousings. I used a McLeod clutch and am very happy with it so far. I would keep an eye on Craigslist or local adds and try to find a good used tranny. Muncies are expensive but are good. If you want a 5speed maybe find a T5 out of a late camaro or mustang. There are adapter plates to mate just about any tranny to a SBC.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome thank you very much. do you have a website that you ordered your kit off of? i have a 350 shortblock right now but will eventually put a 383 stroker kit in it once the 350 dies out. really appreciate the info and more info is greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Nova&Product_Code=FMCK-69S

This is one source, you will still need a bellhousing or scattershield, flywheel, new flywheel bolts, clutch, transmission and probably transmission mount. As well as the shifter and linkage.

I would strongly suggest a scattershield. Way too much temptation to dump the clutch and fry the tires:D.

http://www.5speeds.com/muncie2.htm. This is a pretty good resource for you to learn about what to look for in a Muncie or another transmission.

You could go the 5 speed route, but that could be more money. Depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to do.

Have fun.

Ray

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awesome thank you very much for the information i would eventually prefer to go to a 5sp for driveability and gas mileage but want to not completely change the idea of the car and make it no where close to the original however the floor shifter alone does that.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
and a clutch fork. Fits over the throwout bearing inside the bellhousing.

Ray

1 - 6 of 6 Posts