Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering swapping my 700R4 for a manual transmission.

I already have center console from a 97 Camaro installed (welded the mounting system to the floor), carpet is cut, etc.

I have access to a late 80's Camaro with a 5 speed and a 96 Camaro with a manual trans but that one is a V6

Anyone have any information that will help me decide? Or a post to follow?
I looked for one but it was a mixed bag with mostly Muncie swaps.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,918 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
i am in the process right now of swapping my 71 from a auto to a tremec t5...i bought a whole kit that came with everything from pedals all the way to the template of where to cut the tunnel and the metal to weld back in to cover your tunnel back up....besides having to cut the tunnel everything else is pretty basic and easy to switch out

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,918 Posts
i am in the process right now of swapping my 71 from a auto to a tremec t5...i bought a whole kit that came with everything from pedals all the way to the template of where to cut the tunnel and the metal to weld back in to cover your tunnel back up....besides having to cut the tunnel everything else is pretty basic and easy to switch out

you must be talking about a T56 Tremec trans.

You DO - Not have too cut your "tunnel out" for a Borg - Warner T 5 trans install.

only need to cut a hole for your 'shifter handle .

·
Registered
29 Posts
you must be talking about a T56 Tremec trans.

You DO - Not have too cut your "tunnel out" for a Borg - Warner T 5 trans install.

only need to cut a hole for your 'shifter handle .
its a tremec tko 5 speed from shiftsst.com and it does require a lil cutting and sheetmetal replacement...but thats just for that one...im sure theres others that fit the tunnel without cutting like you said besides cutting for the handle

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Someone just offered me a Muncie M21 with bell, and shifter with the linkage.

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether the offset will fit under my console.

He wants $350, it's got some broken gears, so I'd have to rebuild it.

Thanks for the info on the swaps I will read them during my next bathroom break.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts