Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a manual transmission fluid change instruction page? How about you just tell me how? I have a friend that wants me to come over and help hi change it, but honestly i have never owned a car with a manual tranny, so i wouldn't know!!!

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
Unless there is a drain plug it's kind of a pain to do. Some of the oild change places have a vacuum style pump that has a hose on it that goes in through the fill hole. It can suck out the old gear lube from the fill hole other than that I don't know of a way to change it.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
You can buy a suction device from a parts store. It looks like a grease gun with a hose on it. You pull the plunger and it sucks fluids out. Be sure you replace the trans fluid with the proper type. If it uses like a 90 wt oil get the correct GL type for the car. There is like a GL3, GL4, GL5,and the wrong type can make the trans shift poorly or grind when shifting. Some newer stick trans use a lighter weight oil that looks like auto trans fluid too.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
I have owned so many manual transmission driven cars that I can't remember them all. I have NEVER changed the fluid in any of them and have NEVER had a problem.

I don't think they were designed to have a fluid change.

So, I guess my imput is: Unless there is a compelling reason -- why bother?

Lou (older than dirt)
68 Chevy II, 3 speed manual trans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts