Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up a 67 with this front clip... don’t know anything about it, not exactly sure what make it is... I’d like to convert it from manual rack over to power. Just a weekend wrencher. What parts do I need to get this done? I’d like to do this economically as much as possible. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,060 Posts
I can't see the rack you currently have in the picture but if it's a manual mustang II rack you can buy a power rack replacement fairly cheap at just about any auto parts store. Then you need a pump and bracket to hold the pump. Then you will need a belt to turn the pump possibly and extra pulley, plus your power steering fluid lines then you will be good to go.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't see the rack you currently have in the picture but if it's a manual mustang II rack you can buy a power rack replacement fairly cheap at just about any auto parts store. Then you need a pump and bracket to hold the pump. Then you will need a belt to turn the pump possibly and extra pulley, plus your power steering fluid lines then you will be good to go.
Thanks, Blyoth! Some of these power racks online are pretty expensive. $1000+ Is there any reason to go with one of those versus a rack from a general parts store? Any specific brands you could recommend?

Also, will I need an entirely new pulley set-up to accommodate the PS pulley? It looks like if I add the pump and pulley down on the block that it definitely wouldn’t align with all the other pulleys. Is there another way of making this work?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Thanks, Blyoth! Some of these power racks online are pretty expensive. $1000+ Is there any reason to go with one of those versus a rack from a general parts store? Any specific brands you could recommend?

Also, will I need an entirely new pulley set-up to accommodate the PS pulley? It looks like if I add the pump and pulley down on the block that it definitely wouldn’t align with all the other pulleys. Is there another way of making this work?
Mustang II racks are under 200 bucks at any parts store, Auto Zone, Oreilly etc, you will need to find a bracket that gets you close and then make it work.

·
Vendor
1,233 Posts

You can go to any good parts store and buy a 80-84 T-bird Power rack. It should not cost more than $125 including the core charge. Make sure you get a Ford rack and not a TRW. It will have a 3/4-36 spline. Your manual rack has a 9/16-26 spline so you will have to change your lower u-joint. You will also need a new rack bolt kit with 5/8" spacers to go between the rack and the rack mount bracket. Since you have a serpentine accessory drive you will need to get a pump with a serpentine pulley.
Tim

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can go to any good parts store and buy a 80-84 T-bird Power rack. It should not cost more than $125 including the core charge. Make sure you get a Ford rack and not a TRW. It will have a 3/4-36 spline. Your manual rack has a 9/16-26 spline so you will have to change your lower u-joint. You will also need a new rack bolt kit with 5/8" spacers to go between the rack and the rack mount bracket. Since you have a serpentine accessory drive you will need to get a pump with a serpentine pulley.
Tim
Thanks, Tim! So the rack listed here would work?

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/New-...Pinion-for-Mustang-II-Crossmembers,98778.html

I found this ujoint, would this work?

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spee...MIwuOl2LLv3wIVkIrICh3y7Qi0EAQYAiABEgIZfvD_BwE

And how about this bolt kit?

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mustang-II-Power-Rack-Bolt-Kit,26567.html

The only thing I’m a little uncertain about is the 5/8” spacers. Can you direct me to these?

I truly appreciate the help!

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Just how I would approach it

Might want to try to find out whose subframe that is. It was probably designed for a specific brand of rack. If you can find that out they most likely also offered a power rack option for it that you could get complete. Maybe the previous owner could shed some light on where it came from. Better option than spending a wad on something that does not fit this particular subframe without a bunch of modifications.

·
Premium Member
Serious southern boy living in Jax Fl.
4,015 Posts
Might want to try to find out whose subframe that is. It was probably designed for a specific brand of rack. If you can find that out they most likely also offered a power rack option for it that you could get complete. Maybe the previous owner could shed some light on where it came from. Better option than spending a wad on something that does not fit this particular subframe without a bunch of modifications.
Yea...ah no.

·
Vendor
1,233 Posts
Thanks, Tim! So the rack listed here would work?

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/New-...Pinion-for-Mustang-II-Crossmembers,98778.html

I found this ujoint, would this work?

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spee...MIwuOl2LLv3wIVkIrICh3y7Qi0EAQYAiABEgIZfvD_BwE

And how about this bolt kit?

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mustang-II-Power-Rack-Bolt-Kit,26567.html

The only thing I’m a little uncertain about is the 5/8” spacers. Can you direct me to these?

I truly appreciate the help!
That power rack will work good. It is Chinese made but they seem to be OK. That U-joint will work but you may want one with a 3/4dd end instead of smooth if you have a 3/4dd shaft. The bolt kit may be too short when used with the spacers. Call Speedway and see if they have a kit with spacers and the longer bolts.
Tim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Using the GM pump on the Ford rack requires you to also reduce the pump pressure as well as volume. There's a lot of information out there on how to do it, very easy. If you don't do it, the rack will start leaking and the over sensitivity will be crazy fast and frankly dangerous.

·
Premium Member
Serious southern boy living in Jax Fl.
4,015 Posts
Using the GM pump on the Ford rack requires you to also reduce the pump pressure as well as volume. There's a lot of information out there on how to do it, very easy. If you don't do it, the rack will start leaking and the over sensitivity will be crazy fast and frankly dangerous.
Not if you use the Tbird rack. :no:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts