Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody just getting my car back on the road after a 5 1/2 year build engine is 496 with right at 600 hp, went with a manual steering box wanted to run just one serpentine belt for that clean look , , thought it wouldn't be too bad since I am running skinny tires up front, still just trying to drive the car and break it in a little, had front end lined up with all new front end parts, still haven't really got on the car yet, but at speed say 55 mph when I turn the steering wheel back and forth steering is very unresponsive, im just afraid if I really romp down on this thing and it comes around on me I wouldn't be able to get under control with such slow steering, any body know if any other manual boxes steer any better than the stock nova one or have any insight on this thanks ...:confused:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yea no go , its new, gear box and steering column is new , all suspension is new, control arms, springs everything

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for replies, Baddbob car was original power steering so Im using those arms I never knew there were different lengths, could this be causing a problem and yes Edh it is a stock front end.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yesir......

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would like to say my 69 is all manual and stock and you are not gonna dodge ANYTHING at the last second lol ! It's just slow to react but it does work and goes straight down the track! Just takes gettin use to ! Cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for reply whatwentwrong, just kinda wondering if the tail end ever trys to pass up the back end if I would be able to bring it back...lol,, it would be such a pita to swap to power steering at this point, have new serpentine march pullies, would prolly have to ditch those to go to power because of clearance to radiator with twin spal fans, running short water pump on it, not wanting to go to single groove pullys.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Please clarify the different length steering arms. I gather these are the arms bolted to the spindles?
I have a 70 as well that will be swinging a manual box and the chassis is a power steering equipped car originally.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
It was very common to have a variable ratio steering box in those days. I think it was the stock option powered or not. VR made it easy for the first bit then the ratio increased the farther the wheel was turned. It made for a real sloppy feel. I had mine changed to a quick constant ratio, and it's a power unit, but I'm sure the same is available for Armstrong steering. I also replaced all of the bushings with urethan and all new linkage. Except for the two hundred yard turning radius, it's very responsive now

1 - 13 of 13 Posts