Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curse you guys !!!! :devil: After all my reading here you guys have me convinced to pull the trigger on a CBR rack and pinion kit for my 62 wagon. My question is should I go with the manual or power kit? I have been reading a lot of posts here and people seem to be pretty split on this issue. Personal taste I guess. Anyway I am leaning towards the power kit, but I'm not sure what power steering pump and bracket to get for my I6, any advice? I have been doing a lot of research on that too but i'm still not sure what I would need to buy. I have seen pumps from $60 to $600. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Chris

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
You are going to need the pump and brackets for the 6 cyl. These can be tough to find sometimes. The little engine will have no problem turning the pump. Hoses might need to be custom made.

Tim

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
With smaller tires the manual is fine,steering effort is similar to stock,if you ever plan on running larger front tires I would recomend the power.I have manual on my car currently and will be changing to power with my LS swap.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
standard on my pro street car and power on the wagon, I love the power steering:yes::yes: the standard isn't bad but I have small tires on that car.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Ditto on what Nova 404 & VooDooII said. Also, if you plan on autocrossing the car in the future I'd go with power so you can get it from lock to lock easier.:yes:

The brackets & pulleys are hard to come up with for power though. There may/will be some clearance issues to the standard Nova 6-cylinder pan. A 60's truck pan will work if you can find one.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Depends how strong your arms are and how big your steering wheel is. My 64 has stock manual with 14" skinny tires. All is well until you have a parallel parking oppty. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Power it is!!!! :) Thanks you for the input guys. Since I want this car to be a canyon carver I think the power will be good. I'm sure my wife will appreciate it as well. The CBR R&P is based off a Chevette design correct? Will any power steering pump work? Do some have different pressure out puts?

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Yes its a Chevette rack.it should work with a stock style Nova ps pump.You may want to alter the pressure to suit your personal tastes.For me the effort is a little light with this style pump in stock form,you wife will love it:DChuck can give you more information on various pump operating pressuers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An adjustable pressure seems like the way to go. The reason I was on the fence between power and manual is I don't want the steering to feel too light and detached. I will talk to Chuck about pumps. I have been looking for a PS Pump Bracket for inline six? Any ideas where to find one? I may have to make one if not. Could you get a first gen with an inline six and power steering? Also are the Gen II pumps better?

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Yes sixes came with power steering,no idea how easy it will be to find pump and bracket though.From the various cars I have driven with stock pumps the Gen II(std LSx?) feels best.I suspect the gen II you would be on your own to mount to the six.FYI on six cylinder applications you will need to swap out the Nova oil pan and oil pump pick up tube for something with a rear sump.
Camaro,Chevelle etc.Somewhere on here there are details on this swap.I will have to see if I can find it.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I don't think you will find a bracket for the TypeII power steering pump for your I6. We have them for SBC & BBC applications, but haven't seen anyone selling them for I6 applications.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Nova 404 the Oil Pan swap is to clear the CBR CrossBrace and isn't related to power steering correct? Thanks for the input guys, I'm sure I can fab up a bracket for a Gen II pump which will be cheaper too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts