Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have torn my car down to almost just the shell.
i have no engine,tranny,all the interior,dash board,doors, hardware,air conditioning,windows all of them

i just cant seem to remove the windshield wiper arms.i have tried to pull them after i pulled the locking clip nothing,soaked them with wd40 over night ,nothing i feel beat:beat:

can someone help me out?
is there a tool or something i am missing?
i am getting mad that i can take the whole car apart but the windshiled wipers are kicking my butt.

i am getting ready to take the plasma cutter to them just to get even:devil:

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I would say they are just siezed,especially if you are sure the locking clip is diengaged. I would try using a small block of wood and on opened end wrench. Put the small block of wood on the cowl and use the opened end wrench as a pry. Be sure to pry straight up as possible and be careful not to dent your cowl.
Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
The sprung hinge puts some tension on that splined hub and makes it tough to remove sometimes. I usually try to hold the wiper arm straight (so that the blade portion is not pressing against the windshield), and use a thick towel on the opposite side and rock a large, flat head screw driver back and forth to start the hub to move up off of the splines. Once you see it start to move, you'll get a better idea of removing it...be careful if the spring is stiff because it will kind of snap and shoot off sometimes.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Man I Feel Stupid

Hey Now. There is a tool that helps remove the wiper arms from the knurled piece at the cowl. It looks like a large Bottle Opener that has a lip that hooks under the edge away from the Blade side, and then the back side of the tool places pressure at the blade side. Then you put pressure on the tool handle toward the blade side and wiggle/lift/pull up and the arm assembly comes off. I know that Snap-On has or used to have it. Mine grew legs about 6 years ago and I have not bought another one. Respectfully, "Bill's" II

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
And those are all great pieces of advice, specially removing the arm spring tension. But if ALL else fails take a 1/8 drill bit and drill through the top of the arm bracket, center punch it so you dont slip off and to get it centered. There is a slight cup in the center of the wiper rod so you wont damage anything. Heck, you could even get into it by the slightest amount and it wont hurt anything. Then I would dribble some GOOD penetrating oil, I use kroil or GM "general purpose penetrant and heat valve lubricant" #1052627. That stuff is NASTY but some of the best penetrating oil I have used. Kroil is very good though. Let it do its work for and hour or two, add more if it will seep in. Then try to remove the regular way. If still stuck get out yer smaller gear puller. I like my steering wheel hub puller for something that small and just pull it off. Thats what the hole is for. JR

·
Registered
566 Posts
HEAT baby, HEAT!

Put some heat to the sucker, then spray under it with penetrating oil. The heat will draw the oil into the splines.

If that don't work, then the previous post with the drilling suggestion sounds like gold.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Hey Now. There is a tool that helps remove the wiper arms from the knurled piece at the cowl. It looks like a large Bottle Opener that has a lip that hooks under the edge away from the Blade side, and then the back side of the tool places pressure at the blade side. Then you put pressure on the tool handle toward the blade side and wiggle/lift/pull up and the arm assembly comes off. I know that Snap-On has or used to have it. Mine grew legs about 6 years ago and I have not bought another one. Respectfully, "Bill's" II
yes, these are cheap and work great! time for you to get one not struggle with this any more.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks to all

thank you

it took lots of oil piece of wood,small pry bar,screw driver,and a heat gun then they both just fell out.

i tried pulling and prying on saturday nothing.so i put more penetrating oil on it

tried this morning.nothing:mad:

then i checked this posting and tried heating it with the heat gun got it really hot then i put the block of wood under and went to pry it the firts arm just shot off.the second did the same.:yes:

now i feel better i can keep going on my project

1 - 10 of 10 Posts