Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was helping my cousin put a cam in the 383 he recently bought off me a couple weekends back. he bought a mallory unilite distributor for it thinking it would make his 383 faster. i tried to talk him out of it since hes using my old distributor which is built with an msd module and pertronix coil already but he didnt listen to my advice.
anyways, when we went to drop in the mallory, it wouldnt go. we tried for what seemed like an hour. but when we tried to install my old distributor it dropped right in.
WHATS THE PROBLEM?
ANYBODY ELSE HAVE THIS TROUBLE?

lemme address what im sure some poeple will say the problem is. ive isntalled many distributors and yes i know how to do it correctly.
and no the mallory doesnt have the type of collar that moves up and down to allow adjustability for severely decked blocks. its a permanent collar that doesnt move.

just wondering if anybody else had this trouble.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
So with me taking your word for it Ill assume you do know exactly what you are doing and do have the Oil pump lined up with the pump drive I will give you a few things to look at.

Is the Orientation of the pump drive the same from your HEI to the Unilite?
You may need to turn the pump shaft.
Did you try to drop it by cranking the engine? Not a recomended method but nessisary sometimes
Does the new dist have O rings that maybe holding it up?

I think someone had this issue before a few months ago.

IMHO You should throw the unilite in the trash as preventative maintinace.

·
Registered
941 Posts
75novacaine said:
ive isntalled many distributors and yes i know how to do it correctly.
So ... what's the problem then? :D

Seriously, sometimes it takes some messing around to get them to drop in properly.

Jeff

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the responses guys

yes i lined up the oil pump driveshaft with the distributor.
no theres no o ring to get in the way.
no i didnt try cranking the engine to get it to drop in.

its not mine, but we DID try for AWHILE to get this sucker to go in and it just WOULD NOT!
one thing i did notice is the slot on the bottom that engages the oil pump shaft doesnt have the lead in angles like the stock one does. so we just held the dist up in the air and tried an old oil driveshaft just to see if it would fit and it slipped right on. IM STUMPED.

why are you saying the mallorys are junk? i, myself dont know of anybody having trouble with them til now.

hopefully the prson who had this trouble before drops by so i can find out what they did to fix the problem cuz right now theres a brand new distributor sitting on the shelf and hes got my old one powering his ride.

I

·
0 Posts
If the Mallory won't slip in past the two registers, I'd measure a stocker Chevy dist at the registers, the two machined areas at the base of the body that locate the distributor in the block, and the ones on the Mallory. I'd figure the Mallory was a shade too large in diameter.

Also, I'd pull the gear off and taper the oil pump drive tang on the end of the distributor shaft. I'd also compare the tang witdh as well, may be too large.

Ebay that Mallory junker and go get a Pro-Form, NOT a Pro-Comp.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
75novacaine said:
why are you saying the mallorys are junk? i, myself dont know of anybody having trouble with them til now.

Ive seen people use them with no problems but its the ones with problems that made me warry of them. Ive seen constant sensor/eye failures and the insides actually twisting out of them ..

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have had tight ones like that, here is what I do when there tight.

Align the pointer a 1/4 inch before where you want it the end up. Hold down on the distributor, and have someone bump the starter. I will drop right in. I actual have a started bumper and do it solo. Just keep a moderate amount of pressure on it so it doesn't jump a tooth.

·
Registered
544 Posts
nova10sec said:
I have had tight ones like that, here is what I do when there tight.

Align the pointer a 1/4 inch before where you want it the end up. Hold down on the distributor, and have someone bump the starter. I will drop right in. I actual have a started bumper and do it solo. Just keep a moderate amount of pressure on it so it doesn't jump a tooth.
Ditto here ... good advice to get it to drop in.

I do like MSD but I have a complete Mallory Ignition System (Unilite, Control Unit and Coil for almost 15 years) ... until it gives up on me or causes a problem I have no reason to shell out the extra bucks for another system.

·
Registered
105 Posts
just an update on this topic guys.

my cousin never did re-try getting that mallory to drop back in. it seems after he got to drive hi car with my old HEI in it, he was content with what he had. but he was now broke from building his car. so he unloaded the mallory on me.

thanks
russ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts