Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the sealer and base coat on today. The paint is laying down nice and smooth but I have another issue on the roof and trunk. It looks like I have stripes in the paint. I'm making my passes as consistant as possible, holding the gun about 6 - 8 inches from the metal. Is this just a difficult color or is it me? The color is Deep Blue Pearl Metalic. I have three coats of base and plan to clear it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was having that same problem with my blue:yes: I sprayed in different directions, try going across the roof and from corner to corner to even it out, it worked for me:)
I can't reach all the way accross the roof. The trunk lid looks similar and I was able to go all the way accross.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
It is best not to crisscross, unless you are really good at it. I do all in one direction overlapping and than stand back and fog mist the entire area. That is one way of masking tiger stripes. I am not a pro. Have fun and do not let the sweat get on the paint.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is best not to crisscross, unless you are really good at it. I do all in one direction overlapping and than stand back and fog mist the entire area. That is one way of masking tiger stripes. I am not a pro. Have fun and do not let the sweat get on the paint.
Keeping the sweat out is a challenge. What do you mean by "fog mist." I was thinking a final light coat, holding the gun twice as far and moving it twice as fast as my coverage coats.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Pearl metallic.. Im not a pinter but from what Ive heard thats a difficult comb to lay down with good flow of the solids. Ask your question over here http://www.autobody101.com/forums/..

Great bunch of guys willing to help. Not that there arent some great painters here though. Just another source. JR

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How much overlap are you doing with each pass. With a metalic or pearl, you want at least a 50% overlap and better yet a 75% overlap. Thats what I did on my pearl orange and it came out pretty good.
Ron
My final coat was a 75% over lap.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pearl metallic.. Im not a pinter but from what Ive heard thats a difficult comb to lay down with good flow of the solids. Ask your question over here http://www.autobody101.com/forums/..

Great bunch of guys willing to help. Not that there arent some great painters here though. Just another source. JR
Thanks JR, I've been posting on KustomKultureLounge as well. They are pretty helpful. I like getting bunch of viewpoints, then decide what I'm able to do.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Try doing a 1 second test shot........a 1 second pull on the trigger with the gun 8" from a test surface like a piece of white paper hanging on the booth wall. Check you paint pattern from this test. If the presure is correct and the fluid setting is correct, you will have a very even oval shape (really like a rectangle with rounded corners. If the pressure or fluid settings are incorect, you will have more paint at the edges than the center or vice-versa. If that is the case, it is very hard to get a nice even coat on your car. I think you might have more paint at the edges of your pattern than in the center. I took me a long time to get my gun set right. But once it set right, it makes things a lot easier.

Ron

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The tiger stripes are fixed and I've got the car cleared. It's looking shinny. Still not perfect, but much better than my first try. I'll post pics once I get the hood done and on the car.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I was just wondering did you paint this in your garage? If so how did you set everything up? Love the color...

Len

1 - 15 of 15 Posts