Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 72 Nova and Im trying to modify some seat brackets I have. I am going from a bench to buckets.
This is an odd question I think but maybe someone can help me.

The brackets that mount to the floor (not the ones that are a part of the car) (the ones that bolt to the floor and the seats bolt to it)...can someone tell me if the are sitting level left to right and front to rear?

Or are they level left to right and maybe front to rear they are slightly sloping down towards the rear of the car?
Does that make sense? I can try and rephrase the question or draw something out on paper if that helps.

·
6,517 Posts
I think I know what you are talking about with bracket heights and if one were to look from the side of the car, and one would draw a line from the front and rear outside mounts going from left to right/front to rear, then these would be on some type of angle or be level to the ground. The same angle would have to be present on the inner brackets so that when the seat is slid forwards or backwards nothing would get into a bind.
Now this would be is all of the down legs on the seat off of the slide adjuster were identical but some legs might be different heights than others and it's one of those things, do you modify the height of these legs or raise or lower the mounts on the floor to compensate.

Jim

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Maybe..

I made /modified floor tracks to fit my factory bucket seat car. 62-65 and possibly 66, & 67 use two Nova only floor trackes that are not reproduced and not easy to come by.. These are the inboard tracks near the trans tunnel. The bucket seats I was using were similar to the seats that come in a Nova but not the same. Though at the time I didn’t thoroughly know how different the seat frames really were.

I’m not really familiar with the floors of the 68-72 so what I have done may or may not be specifically helpful to you but it might spark some thought in your endeavor.

What I did was to take the tracks from my Corvair bucket seats and modify the two inboard tracks to fit the Nova floor. The Corvair and Chevelle used the same seats and the same tracks and inboard and outboard. Also, those tracks are reproduced. They might be the same tracks used on later Nova and possibly Camaro’s. My outboard tracks are the same as the common ones used in those other models.

I referenced the mounting points on my floor and then went about making a bracket to mount to my floor at the trans tunnel inboard factory mounting position. Then I modified tracks to mount in a parallel and level orientation to each other.

Does your floor have the mounting points for bucket seats..?
Are you going to use an original seat or something else..?

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the brackets I have need modified. The outer points mate up with the original bench seat holes.
I need to weld brackets or some sort of plate to the inner points. But that being said. I was kinda just needing to know if the level is sitting on the front or rear of this bracket should it be level? And it the level is sitting on the left side or right side should it be level?
My plan is to cut off the legs and shorter or lengthen if/where needed to achieve levelness or not.

IMG_8600.jpg
IMG_8602.jpg
IMG_8603.jpg

·
Registered
1972 Nova
339 Posts
I would make them level side to side, not necessarily front to back. Like Jim said, the seat track legs might be different lengths in front and back. Do you have the seats to attach to the tracks and bracket? I would mock up the bracket level side to side, then measure how much it leans front to back (lift level until it reads level, then measure between the level and bracket in the air gap), then mock up the seats on the floor of the garage or in the car to see how you like it before making any permanent changes to the bracket or car. If you don't like the tilt, add spacers until you do.

·
Registered
558 Posts
IMHO. it should be level, as seen here, side to side...
but doesnt necessarily have to be level front to back, as seen here... the seat sliders bolt to those brackets? if so, they will be on the same plane and wouldnt bind... but you would need to make sure it can be adjusted to a comfortable seat position for you... if that makes sense... so it can be tilted back, if you want it to be... but would have to be a comfortable seating position for you.. .and if not level, as you slide forward and back, it may change the height of the seat slightly, prob not by much, as your angle shouldnt be that drastic i would think... not sure if this is what you are wanting an opinion on?

·
Registered
1963 Nova coupe, Phoenix Arizona
2,045 Posts
When I've installed custom seats in my rides I'll fab something just so I can sit in the seat and see how things are as for as how I like sitting towards the steering wheel, how well it is to get to the floor shifter, or if I need more or less legroom and so on.

Jim
2x what LS & Jim said, it all depends on your seat and where you feel comfortable. Side to side level, front to back all depends on you.

·
6,517 Posts
Mocking things up goes a long way to having it how you want things. When I was laying out a new interior in my 73. I wanted shorter seat backs, still wanted to retain the monte carlo swivel base, be able to easily reach the shifter and the radio controls and had to make some things only to modify them and sometimes had to just start over with a better plan.

I will say this, try and limit any new holes going through things like the floor. Mine has a few still in there through the years and finally got smart just like on my trunk design. Use as many existing points as possible. On my trunk being in the car audio industry I was always changing things and finally made a fiberglass floor pane that I can add to r remove from to mount different amplifiers, processors,and so on and not have to swiss cheese my floor when a change occurs.

Jim

·
Registered
221 Posts
Keep in mind, if the tracks are not level front to back, the seat will raise and lower as you move it front to back on the slides. However, I think most factory tracks are a little lower at the back.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is all great advice! Thank you all. I appreciate it. This will help me get started for sure. And great point about the seat raising up if the brackets slope front to rear when moving. Ill keep that in mind too. I think I will make something from wood to get the height right first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts