Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to get a Hatchback lid for my car for a long time now and have given up So I'm turning a trunk lid I have into a Hatch lid. It's coming along alot easier than I thought it would and I'm about 80% finished. Will post pic's if any one is interested.

·
Registered
308 Posts
sounds awesome
josh

·
Registered
566 Posts
Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics!

·
Registered
308 Posts
by the way a few places still make the fiberglass ones last time i checked
could be easier
josh

·
Registered
103 Posts
i think, and i could be wrong, that the fiberglass deck lids are all pin-on and dont have the inner structure where the weatherstrip makes contact.
-jay

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thats right apollojay

that's what I heard about the fibreglass lids too.

Just worked out how to add pictures!!

The trunk lid is alittle longer then the hatch and In the first 2 pic's I unfolded the top lip, trimmed the inner/under section back and folded a new section for the glass to sit in.

Next I worked out where to cut the rest of the top section that holds the glass from the old hatch lid.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

This is the left over old hatch which is pretty rotten.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

The two before I marry them.

[/IMG]

The wedding!!

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Had to fabricate the new corners.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

And this is where it's at now.

I still have to finish the under side and will post more pics and it comes along.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just incase you were wondering, the underside of the trunk lid is blue (original color) and the top has been painted a rusty red. And in the first photo you'll see the vice grips I modified to fold the lip with, I was worried that as I folded it, it wouldn't keep the slight curve thats there but it turned out perfect!

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
That's a great idea for hatch repair!:yes:

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
Realizing you were put between a rock and a hard place for an impossible to find part, you came through with shining colors.

Gotta admire somebody that builds their car that has that much skill.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can't believe how much cheaper Hatchbacks are on insurance.

I thought I saw a site a few months back that makes custom hatches for non-hatch cars.
Would really like to turn my Cavalier into a hatch.. wonder if anyone has done it before..

·
Registered
146 Posts
I know what I am gonna do.

I had to cannibalize 3 hatchs to make one good one. But I still have the upper parts of the other two so I can make more using this technique. Time to put them puppies away in a dry place. Now I have to just find two trunk lids. thanks for the pics and the motivation to do this.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Update................

Was able to get in the garage and do alittle more work today. This is adding a section on the under side to help support the glass. Next will be fabricating a new section down the side for the weather seal.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
New update.........

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:waving:NEW UPDATE:waving:

Just got the hatch back from being chemically dip stripped to take care of any surface rust mainly on the inside. They used a non-corrosive type of acid that only eats rust and NOT metal. then it got dipped primed to coat the entire hatch in a primer.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts