Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an old chemistry book the other day that had the reaction for nitrous in it, the only problem is: it's in gas form!!! how can i turn it into liquid using regular hillbilly ways? I won't tell you the reaction until I get a plausible answer.(boy, don't i know how to get an answer, i could make some money off the abundant homies around here....)

·
Registered
132 Posts
While your at it, rob some solenoids from an old pepsi or coke fountain drink machine. You could sell complete kits to the homies...:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
supernovanator said:
I found an old chemistry book the other day that had the reaction for nitrous in it, the only problem is: it's in gas form!!! how can i turn it into liquid using regular hillbilly ways? I won't tell you the reaction until I get a plausible answer.(boy, don't i know how to get an answer, i could make some money off the abundant homies around here....)
Two ways to turn it into a liquid, refrigerate it to below its vapor temperature or put it under pressure. Ain't no hillbilly way you are going to do it. Read a little deeper into that chemistry book and you will find the answer to your question.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you. now the reaction: heat ammoinum nitrate to 270 degrees C(518 farenheit) you will get water vapor and nitrous!

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
supernovanator said:
thank you. now the reaction: heat ammoinum nitrate to 270 degrees C(518 farenheit) you will get water vapor and nitrous!
How would a hillbilly, such as yourself :D , seperate the water vapor from the NO2? Unless you can accomplish that, the market might be a bit hesitant to buy your product.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
ammonium nitrate is fertilizer and highly explosive. Ask Timothy McVeigh after it blows up on you.

I'll bet the FBI would be at your door so freaking fast if you ever tried buying enough to make 30 lbs of NOS. They'd be picking up pieces of your house if you ever tried cooking it in an enclosed vessel necessary to extract the gas.
Even the professionals have "destroyed whole neighborhoods" trying to control the release of NO2 without overheating the ammonimum nitriate:
I think you'll find there are now safer commerical catylitic methods of creating Nitrous oxide.

BTW, I'll also bet the FBI, CIA and homeland security already has a tap on your phone just from using the keywords "ammonimum nitrate" and "hillbilly" in a sentence!

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NovatoriusRex said:
How would a hillbilly, such as yourself :D , seperate the water vapor from the NO2? Unless you can accomplish that, the market might be a bit hesitant to buy your product.
thanks for the compliment! reverse osmosis baby!!!(in the liquid form) that'd work, no?

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Some time back on the series show, MythBusters, they needed to find a way to produce what you are referrring to. According to their historical records, this was done back during the Civil War (?) They did produce it on the show, but if I can recall, they were very secretive about how they went about doing it, and left quite a bit out from the television viewer. No doubt in reference to what Paul was saying. There are enough backyard chemist's already.

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
i watched that episode. one of the best i've seen...that rocket was awesome! the myth was busted of course, because it went nowhere near as far as the myth said it would, but wicked to watch!

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
What was the myth?

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I believe the story went that during the Civil War Conflict, the Confederate Army developed a very low tech rocket that had the capability to thrust itself over twenty miles behind the Union Army's lines. While in actuality it did no such thing, this rocket did move quite some distance downrange on the episode. It was real scary to think that it was put together with nothing more than "hardware" store parts. In some ways, I wish it never aired. I could see young teenage minds starting to turn with ideas for home-built items of mass destruction...

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
yeah, dumba$$ kids that got a gripe cause they're too stupid ta pay attention at school... they get bad grades so they decide ta nuke the school... dumb, really dumb... it's happening though, isn't it ??? didn't i see on the news yesterday or so, two separate groups of youths in different parts of the US were ploting major fatalities at their schools ???

what kind of knuckleheads are these kids ???

it makes ya scared, very scared. makes me scared anyways. and the world shall become theirs someday... sheeesh, i shudder ta think...

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
if kids are blowing up schools or killing other kids... yeah, i wonder about a lot of variables as to why... but the kids who are doing it are still knuckleheads...

i'm sure lotsa people wonder about it ;)

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
first thing-that avatar is a lot better... but it really is sad the way kids are nowadays. they don't think that they are worth anything.... no goals, no plans, that's what leads to shootings and immoral things. a woman at our outreach for the church lost sight in both eyes because of a drive-by. sad, sad, sad

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
yeah, Nightshade's happy too i think... we were a bit screwed up there for a while ;)

i think there's a lot of reasons... not all on the Kids, Parents, School, Peers... it's everything. it's society and where we've all brought it...

ya look at a tree grow and ya never really see it grow before it's towering over ya and ya wonder how it happened... society has taken us here and it's gonna take a major change in society ta get it back... and it'll never be the same... but it can still be made better.

but will it ??? that's the $64,000 question ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts