Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Oh BOY!!

Pin the tail on the donkey again!! amateur restoration!! just few things that caught my eye, radiator spacer, funky battery cables, what's up with the thermostat housing and the sweet rake. needs a few minor things:devil:
and why wouldn't you show some paper and engine stamping?? oh my check out that alternator bracket bolted to the top of the water pump. its not right to pick yet its not right present this as an ??

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
It looks *******ized!!!:yes:

·
Super Moderator
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you follow the link in the ad to the dealer's page there are more pix...including the vin pad. Looks legit, betting it's the real deal but a victim of a bad resto.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
The VIN tag has been off the car and they used the wrong rivets to put it back on. Put that together with super sport emblems in the wrong place and you got some esplainen to do.

·
Registered
393 Posts
There's too many oddities on this one at that price. Drop it down to 20K range and it might peak my interest.

·
15,177 Posts
If I was selling an L79 that had a build sheet I'd be showing it. Also, seller has dozens of pics, but none of the cowl tag. As already mentioned, the VIN has been off the car and re-attached with wrong rivets. The '6' in the VIN looks like a separate stamp and isn't in line with the rest of the numbers. The air cleaner is not an L79. Side snorkels are too short and not enough top indentations. Multi leaf rear springs have been added. It needs the rake so the tires will clear the wheel openings. The last time I saw an L79 with tires sticking out this far it had a Chevelle rear axle installed:rolleyes:.

Bottom line is that it doesn't say anywhere this is a real L79. The tough questions aren't answered in the CL ad or on the dealers website. Buyer beware.

Bob

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
air cleaner lid

If I was selling an L79 that had a build sheet I'd be showing it. Also, seller has dozens of pics, but none of the cowl tag. As already mentioned, the VIN has been off the car and re-attached with wrong rivets. The '6' in the VIN looks like a separate stamp and isn't in line with the rest of the numbers. The air cleaner is not an L79. Side snorkels are too short and not enough top indentations. Multi leaf rear springs have been added. It needs the rake so the tires will clear the wheel openings. The last time I saw an L79 with tires sticking out this far it had a Chevelle rear axle installed:rolleyes:.

Bottom line is that it doesn't say anywhere this is a real L79. The tough questions aren't answered in the CL ad or on the dealers website. Buyer beware.

Bob
Good eye Bob, I had not spotted the air cleaner lid my attention was drawn to all of the wrong puzzle pieces that do not fit an expensive puzzle

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
As already mentioned, the VIN has been off the car and re-attached with wrong rivets.
As stated, this is VERY questionable, especially since the seller was capable of providing a close-up of the transmission markings but couldn't manage a pic of the cowl tag...

The '6' in the VIN looks like a separate stamp and isn't in line with the rest of the numbers.
Bob is on point to mention the block ID. I'm beginning to feel like the little boy who cried "Wolf!" - but I'd bet that this is another re-stamp. I'd guess that the 'restorers' gang-stamped (also incorrect) the VIN and then realized that it needed the "6" in front of it. Also, on the factory/date/engine-type stamp, it looks like they gang-stamped everything through the "Z" and then had to add the "G". Why they would have chosen "G" is beyond me, since the California equipment is so unique and I don't see any of it on this engine. Final note: There are no broach marks on the block surface, another strike against the engine ID being original.

As far as the rest of the car goes, there are just too many mistakes to warrant the time required to pick it apart. If asked, my advice would be: "Run away!"

·
15,177 Posts
Here it is on ebay. It was on ebay a few weeks ago, too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Chevro...ash=item3d3870b6d7:g:zu8AAOSwuxFYzYNM&vxp=mtr

As I mentioned in a previous post, there seems to be something amiss with the rear axle assembly. The car has 215/60R14 tires mounted, but it appears the car is jacked up so they don't rub on the inside of the rear wheel openings. Unless it has some strange back space on the wheels, there should be no problem with rubbing tires. I had rallys with 235/60 R14 T/A's on my L79 and they cleared just fine at stock height. My guess is that this isn't a 1966 Nova rear axle assembly. Any other thoughts?

Bob

·
Super Moderator
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
My guess is that this isn't a 1966 Nova rear axle assembly. Any other thoughts?

Bob
My 64 had a later model 8.5 installed when I bought it, and that pushed the tires out right up to the wheel lip. I had that same feeling when I looked at this car...

Before:

After diff replaced with OEM one:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts