Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first off sorry if this is a stupid sounding question but I wanted to ask before doing anything.

I just put my 350 back into my Nova and noticed that there appears to be a leak at the rear main seal. The car is still deep in project status so I have only had the engine started for a few minutes at a time. But when I have ran the motor previously there were no oil leaks whatsoever. Now that it's back in there appears to be a leak.

So my question is (again, sorry if this sounds dumb) is there any way that the seal was leaking because of how much I tilted the engine on the cherry picker? Or did I just get lucky when I had started the engine before and I just need to suck it up and get a new seal? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
If you had the engine hanging on hoist and had it hanging downward so that oil was standing on the rear seal that would likely cause it to leak. The rear main doesn't normally have oil standing on it. The oil is in the sump part of the pan and the rear seal IMO only catches the oil off the rear main.
How bad is it leaking now and is it something that just started and is continuing or is it a one time thing?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Take some time and make sure it's coming from the main seal. I just went through a similar situation and the oil was coming from the bottom bolts on the vavle covers and blowing back and down the belhousing, appearing to be coming from the main seal.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's definitely coming from the rear main seal, I've got the trans out and can seal exactly where the oil is coming from :(

And Nova_Guy that makes a lot of sense, which is exactly what I was hoping to hear! It was full of oil, and we had a pretty good angle on the motor as we were putting it in. I think I'll try to start the engine soon and see if it leaks or not before I decide to pull it apart. As I said, when running it before there was no leak. But, last time the engine was running in the car it was installed dry then filled with oil. And I think when I pulled it I just yanked the whole subframe so the engine never got tilted much.

Thank you both for the help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts