Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who has ordered one and did you have any problems with it? I've looked at a few sites and they are 50 dollars cheaper "including" shipping than anywhere local. Has that been your experience as well?

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
I, for one, have not had very much luck with optimas lasting, even though they are in most of my vehicles currently (only because costco has replaced them, but they are getting picky about replacement time). The consensus on another forum that I frequent is to look at Odyssey batteries, but pricey. The Sears Platinum batteries are apparently made by Odyssey but cost less and have a good warranty to boot.

My second choice is the deka intimidator based on feedback from the same forum.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have had two redtop optima batteries over the years and I did not get more than one year out of either of them. No more optima for me.

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
My last purchase from "Bumber to Bumper" developed a leak within the 1st year. It was replaced under warranty.

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
You guys are right about the optimas. I only got 7 Y E A R S out of mine and I took it out just to get another one. Fire dept. school busses and police cars use them. I would check your systems...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Looking to get one from Summit when everything is ready to run.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Optima

I can tell you from experience the Optima will drain quickly if car is not driven often. It happened on my 93 Pontiac Formula I used to own.

This is why I have a battery shut off switch installed on my 66 Nova.

Also you do not want to ever put a Optima on a fast charge, this will kill them fast. Slow trickle charge only.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
You guys are right about the optimas. I only got 7 Y E A R S out of mine and I took it out just to get another one. Fire dept. school busses and police cars use them. I would check your systems...
My thing is....If you go to your local auto parts store and buy the same battery I believe you would get a good quality battery. But it's very possible when you buy the same battery on line you can get a second or refurbish and its called "NEW". Unless you buy one from a major company.
I bought one on line and not from a major company. Witch means I was SOL on the warranty. There are things you can buy on line and some thing you don't:( My 2 cents

·
Registered
20 Posts
The optima Red Tops sold at Costco are a different group # and slightly smaller / weaker than what you typically see available at an auto parts store (35-70 vs 40). This is why they sell for about 30% less.

The red tops will fail premature in an environment where they are ran low then recharged. I had a 4" alt pulley on an old engine combo that would not charge under 2k rpm. Consequently I would occasionally have to put a charger on the battery to keep it at peak and my batteries would fail every 18 months. I spoke to an Optima rep at Sema who broke this down. Since then I have ran yellow tops (their deep cycle application) w/ no issue.

Also last I checked they still offered 3 years free replacement which is a good warranty for the industry. Not to mention a gel cell battery has other inherent safety and preservation advantages over an liquid acid battery.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I just got an Odyssey a month ago and LOVE IT! It replaced my Optima Yellow top! :yes: Model Number PC-1500-DT

Here are some pix..

Ivan

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
The optima Red Tops sold at Costco are a different group # and slightly smaller / weaker than what you typically see available at an auto parts store (35-70 vs 40). This is why they sell for about 30% less.

The red tops will fail premature in an environment where they are ran low then recharged. I had a 4" alt pulley on an old engine combo that would not charge under 2k rpm. Consequently I would occasionally have to put a charger on the battery to keep it at peak and my batteries would fail every 18 months. I spoke to an Optima rep at Sema who broke this down. Since then I have ran yellow tops (their deep cycle application) w/ no issue.

Also last I checked they still offered 3 years free replacement which is a good warranty for the industry. Not to mention a gel cell battery has other inherent safety and preservation advantages over an liquid acid battery.
I bought my Red top at Costco and it is a model# 34/78, that is the biggest red top they make.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
2 years ago............

when I bought one for my 64 it lasted a month, after contacting them and taking the battery back, I found out there WAS a bad batch. The second one "statically" had nearly one volt more and didnt cause any more problems for the year I had it until I sold the car. We also use mostly optimas in our flightline equipment in the AF. I hadnt heard of any problems with them there.

·
Registered
458 Posts
2 yellow tops since 04, both still running, and bought a blue top from a going out of business sale last week for $140, that one is going in the nova.:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts