Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
***EDIT*** 9/14/12... Car done, pics here >>>http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157631537534958/show/

Back half of the body painted and colorsanded, rear trim installed, side trim installed, doors installed, inner and outer fenders installed, Engine cleaned up. I didn't even chip any paint on reassembly !! YET !! :) Feeling good about this project again after a 3 month hiatus !! :yes:

PICS >>> http://s1075.photobucket.com/albums/w427/andyspaintshop/BLACK%20RAT/?albumview=slideshow

Andy

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is some deeeeeeeeeeeepppp black paint!

Thanks, its single stage acrylic urethane with hardener from Summit Racing. Its the same as base/clear (chemically)but its all in one. I used their line of primer and paint on this.

I wetsanded with 2000 and then buffed it. I have 150 - 200 hours easy in this project, all hand block sanding, no machine. Car is straight finally after 19 years of cringing at ripples, mainly in the quarters. I'm glad I decided to tackle this project myself, I have learned a ton, most of it the hard way, and can really be proud of the result. I did 100% of the work myself in my 1 car garage/ paint booth.

Andy

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Not bad at all. Actually very nice results.
Thanks! :) Here's a pic of one of the doors from a couple months ago...

And this is the "booth", and my 19 yo son doing some jamb sanding... (I've since moved the side wall lights down to just under that outlet with the cell phone plugged in. I got a great deal on 3 double 8 foot shop lights...FREE)

You can totally paint a car in the garage without getting any more dust in the paint than these guys with the pro booths...this car is living proof of that. Very Happy with how its turning out!

Andy

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, today I got the front and rear bumpers back on, trunk weatherstrip installed, trunk lid installed (with help from my wife and daughter) :yes: Stainless trim along the bottom of the windshield ( a bitch ) and the cowl panel put on. Also went over the quarters again with the buffer and caught a few spots I didnt buff quite enough. My Harbor Freight air ratchet and mini air buffer kit paid for themselves in spades today. :yes: OH, I amoralled the top and the tires too...:)

So all I have left is install the side windows, inner door panels, and the hood, oh, and weatherstrip on the doors. Thats it other than cleaning some cloudiness off back glass (very fine overspray mist, dont know how it got there but it did.)

Last Cruise Night of the year this weekend, I'll be ready. :yes:

Andy

·
Registered
652 Posts
You are doin a fantastic job on it, Very Nice:yes:

That pic of the door looks phenomenal! It looks like Black Chrome!:D

Keep up the great work:cool:

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are doin a fantastic job on it, Very Nice:yes:

That pic of the door looks phenomenal! It looks like Black Chrome!:D

Keep up the great work:cool:
THANKS!! :) Everyone I have showed the car to have been very complimentary, including the body shop guy down the road!! He was very impressed at how straight I got the body. I told him I blocksanded till my fingers bled...haha. :)

Instead of Men in Black, is Nova in Black, you did a beautiful job, she looks amazing, :yes::notworthy:
I actually just watched that movie the other day. LOVE that black 61? Ford in that movie...too cool!!! Thanks!!!

Andy

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WOW! It's like magic. Black Magic.
Nice! I like that! Thanks. :)

SWEET! all in a regular 1 car garage. I'm impressed. Nice job.:yes:
-Pat Rolland
Thanks. Yep. 12 x 22 garage. Only took me 15 years to put it to use as a booth!! Worked great too, intake filters...wet floor... = very nice place to paint.

Andy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts