Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some digging on the net and thought I was clear on this subject; adapting 3rd gen camaro rotors to MII spindles.
I go to the local parts store and ask for inner and outer front wheel bearings for "78" m*stang II. Instead of the usual dazed look from the kid at the desk I'm asked if it has a 6.75" ring gear. So I'm now standing there with the dazed stare. I return home research on napa's website, get some dimensions and figure that the spindles came from a car with a 6.75" ring gear.
Below is a parts list from CPP showing what is needed for the conversion but doesn't mention this 6.75" ring gear detail.
My question is will the inner bearing designed for the "6.75" ring gear style spindle work with the race designed for the "larger" ring gear style spindle.
Cpp lists the inner race used with non 6.75" setup; the O.D. of this race according napa is the same as the stock gm piece...makes sense. The O.D. of the race used with the 6.75 setup actually is larger.
Do I need to have the rotors machined to accept the larger race or are both races the same as far as inside dimensions?
If you're still awake please help.

Mustang II 4-3/4 Bolt Pattern Disc Brake Kit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PARTS LIST:
1. 4216 CALIPER BRACKETS
2. BCA# LS8110 INNER RACES
3. NATIONAL SEAL #710058
4. 82-88 CHEVY CAMARO ROTORS AIMCO# 5547 - (NOTE. THE STUD / LUG NUT SIZE ON THIS ROTOR IS METRIC 12mmX1.5)
5. 2 SPINDLE NUTS CUT DOWN TO A WIDTH OF .225"
6. USE STOCK MUSTANG 11 INNER AND OUTER BEARINGS
7. CHEVY DUST CAP x 2

ASSEMBLY:
1. REMOVE INNER RACE SUPPLIED WITH ROTOR AND REPLACE WITH NEW L681 10 RACE. MAKE SURE TO DRIVE RACE IN STRAIGHT AND AS DEEP AS POSSIBLE.
2. GREASE INNER BEARING AND INSTALL ALONG WITH #710058 SEAL
3. INSTALL CALIPER BRACKET ON CLEANIUNDAMAGED SPINDLE USING NEW BOLTS AND LOCKWASHERS.
4. INSTALL NEW ROTOR ON SPINDLE FOLLOWED BY A GREASED OUTER BEARING, KEYED WASHER, and SPECIAL WIDTH SPINDLE NUT. TIGHTEN TO MANUFACTURES SPECIFICATION THEN INSTALL RETAINER CAGE, COTTER PIN, AND DUST CAP.
5. INSTALL CALIPERS WITH BLEEDER SCREW POINTING UP. NEXT, INSTALL BRAKE HOSE.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Go in and ask for an A12 and an A13 bearing for each wheel, install bearings and races in your camaro rotors. I don't have a clue about ring gears relating to spindles???

Rich

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Rich said:
Go in and ask for an A12 and an A13 bearing for each wheel, install bearings and races in your camaro rotors. I don't have a clue about ring gears relating to spindles???

Rich
That was my original plan. From what I can tell the cars with 4 cyl. and some 6 cyl's came with a light duty 6.75" rear; while the V8 and some 6cyl's came with a stronger 8" rear and apparently different spindles accordingly.
I measured the spindle dia. where the inner bearing seats and I'd say it is 1.3750". The A13 inside dia. is 1.3780". According to the info I can see on napa's website; I need the A5 bearing. The O.D. of the accompanying race is too large for the gm rotor without machining.
See the link below.... w/6.75"; except 6.75"
iS 0.003" "slop" acceptable?

1977 Ford Mustang II

Browse Catalog >> Brake Systems >> Wheel Bearings, Seals & Related Parts
Vehicle: 1977 >> Ford >> Mustang II

Product Name Item # Price Select

Inner Wheel Bearing - Front Wheel
Usually ships in 24 hours. PGB
PBR5 $4.29

w/ 6.75" Ring Gear

Inner Wheel Bearing - Front Wheel
Usually ships in 24 hours. PGB
PBR13 $4.29

Except 6.75" Ring Gear

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpag...Description=Inner+Wheel+Bearing+-+Front+Wheel

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpag...Description=Inner+Wheel+Bearing+-+Front+Wheel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts