Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what you guys are running as far as air pressure. Went out last night and ran the car on a new set of 325/50/15's. I'm loosing 1 and a half tenths off my 60 ft as opposed to the slicks. I only got to do 2 runs and the best 60 ft was 1.681 @ 14psi. On slicks i get avg. 1.54-1.55 60fts.
NOVACA1N, i know you run the M/T so i'd like to get any advice you have.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Was it spinning or hooking? Was the weather the same or similar as when you ran faster with slicks on it? I run my 315/60R15's at 16psi, and I adjust up or down based on my reaction times (bracket racing). Generally speaking, the bigger the tire the less air you run. I used to run almost 20psi in my 275's...But they were smaller.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It felt like it hooked the second time but my brother said it spun a little. These were the first two passes on the new tires, hopefully they get better as they wear. Temps were a tad bit cooler this time, it was at night. I guess i'll try it at 16psi and go down from there. Thanks. I appreciate the info.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I was running that same tire @ 18psi and it hooked great. Don't be afraid to try a little more psi in those radials...you may be surprised. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I tend to have mine around 18-20 depending on weather conditions. I have also experienced more tire spin with brand new tires than when they've worn down a little. From what i've seen and heard, slicks are the best bet for continuous traction. Mickey Thompson ET Drag. But I run Drag Radials.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Art, I was running my 235/60-15s at 16 psi Thursday nite with best 60' of 1.67. They hooked good except for the pass I left at 1500 instead of about 1000 rpm. The last time out I tried 15 then 14 psi and they spun every time off the line. But I also added 1/4" gap to the snubber on my slapper bars and I think that had more effect on traction than the air pressure. I will try 18 psi next time out and go down from there.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
well i have to say that you dont need a big burnout with the drag radials i run 255/60/15s with 18.5 to 20 psi and my 60ft times are ok i guess ( 1.72 ) there pretty consistent though im still learning to use them i want my car to leave like joes ( novacain ). i know they work ive witnessed it but i cant duplicate it :no:

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was running that same tire @ 18psi and it hooked great. Don't be afraid to try a little more psi in those radials...you may be surprised. Good luck and let us know what you find out.
What were your 60fts?

Art, I was running my 235/60-15s at 16 psi Thursday nite with best 60' of 1.67. They hooked good except for the pass I left at 1500 instead of about 1000 rpm. The last time out I tried 15 then 14 psi and they spun every time off the line. But I also added 1/4" gap to the snubber on my slapper bars and I think that had more effect on traction than the air pressure. I will try 18 psi next time out and go down from there.
Guess we'll be testing together, my next time out wont be till the LA invasion.

Big tires generally don't like that much pressure...What exactly will he break?:confused:
235X60X15's MT ET Radials - I usually run 16 psi.
So it looks like 18 to 16 psi is where they seem to work best. I'll have to try that out. Are burnouts any different from a regular slick. I was told to start with a couple hard burnouts then light burnouts after the first couple of runs. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I run 295's on my 68 @ 15.5-16 psi with good results. We run 20psi on all our 275 cars and that seems to work for them.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
You don't have to murder them in the burnout...Only a couple of seconds and then roll it out..

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
You don't have to murder them in the burnout...Only a couple of seconds and then roll it out..
I think M/T's like a little heat, and if you're talking Nitto's? You do actually have to murder them to hook correctly. MT says you can use 12-16#s, but I can't stand the feel of mushy tires on the top end of the track. Kinda scary.

Big tires generally don't like that much pressure...What exactly will he break?:confused:
It's a figure of speech. Axles have been known to break though :)

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think M/T's like a little heat, and if you're talking Nitto's? You do actually have to murder them to hook correctly. MT says you can use 12-16#s, but I can't stand the feel of mushy tires on the top end of the track. Kinda scary.

the size tires im running aren't tall enough to feel that way.

It's a figure of speech. Axles have been known to break though :)
I've got Moser axles and Leave at 4500 on the trans brake. I've ran slicks with no problems, just tired of having two sets of wheels that i have to be changing for cruising or racing.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
M/T's tech page says to use lower pressure than what I see most people running:

Proper use of Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial

Inflation Pressures

On the racetrack DO NOT use starting pressures below 11 psi.
Recommend pressures for:

P295 and larger sizes: 11-14 psi
P275 and smaller sizes: 12-16 psi

On the highway we recommend running 75% of the max psi as notes on the sidewall of the tire.

Burnouts

The tread compound used in the ET Street Radials is designed to heat quickly and does not require a heavy burnout. Continue the burnout at a level RPM until the engine starts to pull down. We do not recommend a dry hop after the burnout.

Bead/Wheel Slippage

Some bead/wheel slippage (1/2” or less) may result during the course of a 1/4 mile (or 1/8 mile) drag race. This is normal. Check for tire slippage when you check your tire pressure after each pass.

Excessive Rim Slip

If continued or excessive (more than ½” to 1”per run) wheel/slip is experienced, Mickey Thompson recommends the use of “Beadlock” wheels for ET Street Radials. Bead screws are not recommended and could lead to tire failure and or damage.

This is Mickey Thompson STREET & STRIP TECH BULLETINS Technical Bulletin #7.
For more information regarding Mickey Thompson Performance Products ph: 330.928.9092

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I also run 325/50 R15 MT street radials, when at the track I run 12.5-13.5 psi, car hooks great, I did normally run 14-15 psi but after many runs 12-13 works the best for my appliacation (67 nova 540 BB typically runs 10.20 @134). As far as new tires, they work better the more you run them, the burnout deal well, I use to belive a quick little burnout was all you need, but after running these tires for two years at the track you need to do a good solid burnout for the best profromance out of the tire, IMO. 18-20 psi seems like way to much for me. My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Mike, I did read the Mickey thompson website and thats why i started with 14psi. Just wanted to see what worked for every one else.

I also run 325/50 R15 MT street radials, when at the track I run 12.5-13.5 psi, car hooks great, I did normally run 14-15 psi but after many runs 12-13 works the best for my appliacation (67 nova 540 BB typically runs 10.20 @134). As far as new tires, they work better the more you run them, the burnout deal well, I use to belive a quick little burnout was all you need, but after running these tires for two years at the track you need to do a good solid burnout for the best profromance out of the tire, IMO. 18-20 psi seems like way to much for me. My 2 cents.
Thanks man, I'll be doing a lot of testing on Memorial day. Hopefully i'll have the nitrous hooked up, it should be running right around there if not a little bit quicker. I hope.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts