Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I almost pulled the trigger on a 2004 6.0L today, but now I’m on the fence on whether to buy an LQ4/9 or an LY6. The LQ9 I looked at today has 123,000 miles on it and costs $1100 (which is average for my area) with everything ready for the conversion, Computer, Harness, all accessories. My plan was to buy it, toss it in the nova with an LS1 intake (if I can find a good deal) and drive it till it needed a rebuild which probably wouldn’t be too far off. When I do finally rebuild it my plan was to use L92 heads and LS3 intake. I did a bit of research and I can get into an LY6 with 50,000 miles for $2000 plus the price of accessories, computer, harness, etc. I know that there are a lot of unknown variables on when the LQ9 would need a rebuild and what the price of LY6 accessories would be; I’m just starting to think the upfront cost of the LY6 would be worth it. Have any of you been in the same dilemma, if so which path did you take and why? I currently have the cash to buy the LQ9 but not the LY6, if I need to save I will. Either way I think I’ll be sitting on this one for at least a few more weeks now.

·
Registered
670 Posts
lq9 and ly6 are within 5hp and 5ft lb of each other, with the same bore and strock and ci..

I cant see why not go with the LQ9, Im running an LQ9 with a Zo6 Cam and couldnt be happier.

There are plenty of of LQ9s out there running great with much more miles on the clock... But with that many miles i would deff just look at bearings and for sure replace lifters...

Before Your rebuild slap a cam with lifters and your heads and intake and enjoy for years with no worry....

and no need to get the ls1 intake, those wont make any differance in power over the truck one. atleast not one that will be noticed in the driver seat.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I almost pulled the trigger on a 2004 6.0L today, but now I’m on the fence on whether to buy an LQ4/9 or an LY6. The LQ9 I looked at today has 123,000 miles on it and costs $1100 (which is average for my area) with everything ready for the conversion, Computer, Harness, all accessories. My plan was to buy it, toss it in the nova with an LS1 intake (if I can find a good deal) and drive it till it needed a rebuild which probably wouldn’t be too far off. When I do finally rebuild it my plan was to use L92 heads and LS3 intake. I did a bit of research and I can get into an LY6 with 50,000 miles for $2000 plus the price of accessories, computer, harness, etc. I know that there are a lot of unknown variables on when the LQ9 would need a rebuild and what the price of LY6 accessories would be; I’m just starting to think the upfront cost of the LY6 would be worth it. Have any of you been in the same dilemma, if so which path did you take and why? I currently have the cash to buy the LQ9 but not the LY6, if I need to save I will. Either way I think I’ll be sitting on this one for at least a few more weeks now.
I would definitly go with the LQ9. Great foundation for later on if you decide to pull it apart and go radical. I will be using a LQ9 on my project and I plan to leave it stock, by the time I add long tube headers and a tune etc I should be pushing 400hp and over 400 torque. My engine guy recommended not to tear it apart, leave it sealed up etc, I will be changing the oil pan of course but thats it. Another thing to consider is the LQ9 is a 24x reluctor and the LY6 I believe is a 58x wheel and also VVT.
Here is a good link on the LQ9 that Hot Rod did
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0710_6l_ls_series_small_block/viewall.html

Good luck on your findings!:ragtop:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks for the link, that helps a lot!
I forgot to re-assure you from a previous post, If you get the LQ9 dont change out the intake, as you thoroughly read through the Hot Rod article it has many different tests that were done and it shows that the truck intake is good to go!
Get the LQ9, dont pull it apart,clean it up paint it and change out the oil pan and your off to the races:D

·
Registered
670 Posts
I forgot to re-assure you from a previous post, If you get the LQ9 dont change out the intake, as you thoroughly read through the Hot Rod article it has many different tests that were done and it shows that the truck intake is good to go!
Get the LQ9, dont pull it apart,clean it up paint it and change out the oil pan and your off to the races:D
I agree, replacing the Intake doesnt make sense unless its all about clearance or looks..

only reason i recomended the lifters is because fo the mileage, soo many stories of lifter issues in these lsx engines with high mileage.. I was just trying to extend the life of your engine..

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it turns out the "LQ9" I was looking at is actually an LQ4, they want $1595 for an LQ9 without the accessories and $1600 for the LY6, their new listing for the LQ4 is $1300 with accessories. I'm thinking about going and offering $1000 for the LQ4 and if they don't accept then I'll just go back to looking. Either way winter is coming up soon and it wont be driven this season.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Nothing wrong with the LQ4, it just has dished pistons compared to the flat tops on the Lq9..

even better for boost.

or if your going to put your low cc heads on it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I found a different LQ4 with only 106k on it, this is mainly because the one I was going for was sold the morning I went to go pick it up. Anyway I've been thinking a lot about what to do with the heads/intake. I've been on the fence between keeping stock heads and going with an LS6 intake for a little bit better flow and looks, or L92 heads and an LS3 intake. Having to buy new heads will be a bit more money but I'm wondering if anyone has any info on what the power difference will be on an LQ4, I've done a bit of research but can't find this specific topic answered. Thanks for everyones input!

·
Registered
711 Posts
I am building an LQ4 for my project. The LQ4 comes with a dished piston 9.5:1 VS. A flat top in the LQ9 10:1. The heads are the 317 for both motors. Not much of a change at all.
I am using 243 64cc heads from a 01 Z06 vette in place of the 317 and the LS6 intake. I paid 350 for the pair of heads. I should only have around 625 total in the heads vs the 900 for the L92. A cam with something close to this grind 235/240 630 lift 113 LSA
From what I have read I should be pulling and easy 525hp with this set up for around 5000 total.

There isn't much difference in the LQ4 -LQ9. They are the same identical block just different pistons.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts