Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys. i have an opportunity to get ahold of a 1994 LT1 350 (94 z28) along with the harness and most anything i need. even the guage cluster if i need. 137000 miles. guy bought the car from the U.S. (im in BC)and for the transmission. the motor only needs the Optispark thing replaced. he works at a GM dealership so he apparently knows this. told me if im interested enough he'd work a deal to get ahold of one of those and see how she runs then. seen a cold start and no blue.

im just wondering if anyones done a full LT1 injected swap into a nova?
does anyone know of any extra parts i should take off this camaro to help myself in this swap? gastank/pump? additional harness? fuse panels?

any pointers/advice?

Thnxz!

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
I bought a 39 Ford coupe with that engine already installed in it. If memory serves me right, I think my engine had alum heads.

I think most builders are now installing the newer LS motor, but I can assure you that the LT series engines have ample power.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I'm guessing 69LT1Nova can help you :D

In addition to my Nova I own a '95 LT1 Trans Am.

In your case, it's great that it's not a '93 with the standalone PROM.

Since you need to replace the opti (please note that they have to be replaced as a unit, not just cap/rotor, and note that the only ones worth anything are the ACDelco or MSD ones) I strongly suggest that you upgrade to the 95-97 vented opti setup. It will have a longer life.

Also, if you will be running the stock GM style (read: not electric) water pump, I also suggest you JB weld a vacuum tee or elbow in there with hose to route the water pump weep hole away from the opti.

I did it this way:

While you are in there, check the water pump drive gasket and make sure that the seal is in good shape. Oil drippings from there will get on (and ruin) the opti.

The opti can be just fine, it just gets oil fouled or has water from the weep hole kill it over time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thnxz for the replys guys.

@Onecarnut Yeah it does have aluminum heads

@Chevy2much a 39 couple?! how was that to drive with the motor?

@WildBillyT lol thnxz ill send him a message! what is standalone PROM? thnxz ill be sure to run this by that guy. i think ill do the same thing thats a good idea!

·
Premium Member
5,544 Posts
I have a 94 caprice cop car, cast iron everything! LOL

It's a 5,000 lbs plus car, and with the LTI in it... it really hauls the criminals!

Should be a pretty straight forward swap... the only thing I'm not sure about is the motor mounts...

Wild Bill great idea on the hose to get the drip away from the opti!

Nice tip!

Mark

·
Registered
302 Posts
You'll have to have PCM reprogrammed to remove the vats ( vehicle anti theft)and if your not running catalytic converters they can be removed from PCM also should cost around 75.00 to reprogram. If you don't run the 4l60e and opt for a turbo 350 then Dakota digital makes a nice speed sensor that screws in place of your speedo cable to give you a VSS signal to your PCM cheaper way to keep the mechanical speedo cable did this on my 72 monte!

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
the motor only needs the Optispark thing replaced.
Optispark "thing" is expensive... to the tune of around $400... just FYI.

im just wondering if anyones done a full LT1 injected swap into a nova?
does anyone know of any extra parts i should take off this camaro to help myself in this swap? gastank/pump? additional harness? fuse panels?
Yep, been there done that. Check out my build thread (link in my sig). Tank and pump from the Camaro are worthless to your car - you'll either need a Rock Valley or Rick's custom tank or use your stock tank with an external pump... or use a plastic tank from a LT1 Caprice or Impala and modify the tank straps.

Snag the under hood harness and fuse box along with the brake switch to control the trans (if that is coming along for the ride).

It helps to have the entire car for the duration of your swap for those "just in case" moments. :doh:

Should be a pretty straight forward swap... the only thing I'm not sure about is the motor mounts...
Motor mounts are the same as a Gen 1 SBC. I show this in detail on my build thread. :yes:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Optispark "thing" is expensive... to the tune of around $400... just FYI.

Yep, been there done that. Check out my build thread (link in my sig). Tank and pump from the Camaro are worthless to your car - you'll either need a Rock Valley or Rick's custom tank or use your stock tank with an external pump... or use a plastic tank from a LT1 Caprice or Impala and modify the tank straps.

Snag the under hood harness and fuse box along with the brake switch to control the trans (if that is coming along for the ride).

It helps to have the entire car for the duration of your swap for those "just in case" moments. :doh:

Motor mounts are the same as a Gen 1 SBC. I show this in detail on my build thread. :yes:
I would highly recommend using the tanks mentioned above the impala caprice would require you to do extensive trunk pan modification because the sender and fuel pump is humped up not worth the hassle and I think the tank is too wide for the nova fit good in my 72 Monte Carlo but it is a wider car !

·
Registered
302 Posts

this is what trunk would look like if using impala or caprice tank had to fabricate a so called cowl above sender that spare tire would cover! Not a big fan of the inline pump either they are noisy! JMO!!

·
Premium Member
5,544 Posts

this is what trunk would look like if using impala or caprice tank had to fabricate a so called cowl above sender that spare tire would cover! Not a big fan of the inline pump either they are noisy! JMO!!
Is there a way to open that cowl? so pump replacement would be easy?

No matter what it looks good and yes it would be covered by the spare...

Mark

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yes it could be made accessible bye flanging the top and making a removable cover but this is solid welded in there it only takes me about fifteen minutes to drop the tank in it ! Please note this is a 72 Monte Carlo not sure if the tank would fit in a nova would have to measure width of one of theses tanks! Bu tried to make it look as clean as possible!

·
Registered
14 Posts
My Swap

Hi guys,
I live in the UK, I will be doing this swap aswell,4th gen Z28 into a 65 2 Door.
I have the complete car that is still up and running so any help on things to look for as i do this would be great, i now know the car has to be lifted up to drop the engine out...could be fun as we dont have a ramp. But i want to keep the swap as simple as possible on all fronts.
Cheers guys

Marcus

1 - 14 of 14 Posts