Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im working on a 71 nova and am doing an an lt1 swap... i think i have all that covered but need to know if a 5 or 6 speed trans will work with a bench seat or not? I know that i can buy a shifter relocator for the six speed but still dont know if this will put the shifter in the same position as the orginal 4 speed.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Are you using the LT1 pull clutch and bellhousing or standard bell and mechanical linkage. Keep in mind the LT1 6speed has a shorter input shaft and needs the LT1 bellhousing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you using the LT1 pull clutch and bellhousing or standard bell and mechanical linkage. Keep in mind the LT1 6speed has a shorter input shaft and needs the LT1 bellhousing.

Ok .. but where will the shifter location be?.. i dont want to get rid of my bench seat. and dont really want to go cutting my trans tunnel more than already is .....does anyone know if there is a bellhousing made to bolt the 4 speed up to the lt1?

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Ok .. but where will the shifter location be?.. i dont want to get rid of my bench seat. and dont really want to go cutting my trans tunnel more than already is .....does anyone know if there is a bellhousing made to bolt the 4 speed up to the lt1?
Until we know which T-56, we don't know where the shifter will be. There are different tail housings. the LS1's shifter will come up near the seat. An aftermarket T-56 will be a little more forward.

A T-56 magnum will come up about a 1/2 inch forword of the Muncie position. It has three shifter positions and one of them will work.

If you already that the transmission, the best thing to do is measure the distance from the front of the bellhousing (if it is an LT1 T-56) to the sifter. then measure the same distance from the back of your current engine down the tunnel. Drill a 1/16 inch hole in the floor and see where it comes up.

At TKO transmission has three shifter positions. One of them will work.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Yes, adaptor bellhousings are made. McLeod makes one. Not cheap, though.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
I missed this part of your question. The LT1 engines use a SBC bellhousing pattern and use a flywheel for 1 peice rear seal. I'm not sure if the blocks are drilled for the pivot balls. You have have to have your drilled if you go with mechanical linkage.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I missed this part of your question. The LT1 engines use a SBC bellhousing pattern and use a flywheel for 1 peice rear seal. I'm not sure if the blocks are drilled for the pivot balls. You have have to have your drilled if you go with mechanical linkage.
thanks for the info..yeah i know my questions are broad but i dont want to go buy a transmission that isnt going to work or will be more work than i want to do. i already have the 4 speed and would like to keep it.. so i think i may try that route.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts